Apple acquires video discovery startup Matcha.tv
Apple has acquired a video discovery and recommendation service called Matcha.tv. VentureBeat was the first to report on the deal, which sees Apple buying the startup for between US$1-1.5 million. After news of the acquisition broke, Apple released the following statement to AllThingsD and confirmed the deal:
“Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans.”
The acquisition makes sense for Apple, as the company offers hundreds of thousands of TV shows and movies through its iTunes store. And though the availability of myriad videos is a boon for users, video discoverability has become a hot topic in the online video industry in the last few years. The more videos that are available, the harder they are to discover as there are more to sift through. Anything that helps with discovery is very useful to users.
Matcha.tv itself was an iOS app that provided overviews of everything that was available to watch on cable TV providers, video streaming services like Netflix, and in digital video stores like iTunes. Its technology would naturally be a good fit in Apple’s current offerings or any Apple television software that we may see in the future.
- Download iOS 7.0.6
- How To Jailbreak iOS 7 – 7.0.6 Untethered On iPhone 5s, 5c, 5, 4s And More With Evasi0n7
- How To Downgrade iOS 7 To iOS 6.1.3 / 6.1.4
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.3 On iPhone 4, iPod touch 4 and iPhone 3GS Using Redsn0w
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 4,3GS, iPod touch 4 Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.11
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 5,4S, iPad, iPod touch Using Evasi0n 1.5
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6 With Official Cydia On iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS And iPod touch 4G Using Redsn0w 0.9.15b1