Apple puts limits on location-based advertising in the App Store
Apple’s excited about mobile advertising (and it certainly seems like they’re setting up a plan for local ads), but to devs, they say, “not so much.”
Apparently they’ve sent out a message that says location services should only be used to provide “beneficial information,” not targeted advertising. Any apps that include ads targeted to where you and your iPhone are will be rejected posthaste, says Apple.
There’s a few things going on here — Mobile Entertainment wonders just what “beneficial information” means. Certainly apps like Foursquare and MyTown provide business information based on your iPhone’s location, and Foursquare especially is working on local deals with places that you’ve checked-in to — is that considered advertising?
And a few developers, including our friend Craig Hockenberry (MacNN messed up Chock’s name in their post) say that Apple wants location-based ads for themselves. Kind of a jerk move by Apple, but if that’s where the money is, I guess you can’t blame them.
Apple puts limits on location-based advertising in the App Store originally appeared on The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) on Fri, 05 Feb 2010 15:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
- Download iOS 7.1.1
- How To Jailbreak iOS 7 – 7.1 Untethered On iPhone 5s, 5c, 5, 4s And More With Evasi0n7
- How To Downgrade iOS 7.1-7.1.1 To iOS 6.1.3 / 6.1.2
- How To Downgrade iOS 7 To iOS 6.1.3 / 6.1.4
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.3 On iPhone 4, iPod touch 4 and iPhone 3GS Using Redsn0w
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 4,3GS, iPod touch 4 Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.11
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 5,4S, iPad, iPod touch Using Evasi0n 1.5
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6 With Official Cydia On iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS And iPod touch 4G Using Redsn0w 0.9.15b1