Apple sees huge growth in India, but trails behind competitors
TechCrunch reports that Apple has seen a huge gain in sales in India — up to 400% — in July through September of 2012, but still has a long way to go compared to its competitors in the region.
According to the research firm IDC (based on figures collated from July-September of 2012), Apple isn’t in the top five of handset market share. Samsung is at the top, with a 46 per cent share, and HTC at number 5, with a 6.6 percent market share. Additionally, web browsing stats reveal that Apple has a tiny percentage of current mobile web traffic.
However, this is not so surprising given that in an earnings call last year, Apple CEO Tim Cook said he didn’t see much opportunity for growth in India in the short-term. But that’s not to say Apple isn’t scouting the area and preparing for growth. India is a huge market, with less than 10 percent smartphone penetration.
TechCrunch reports that Apple’s sales growth is attributed to a growth in Apple’s India team, from 50 to 150 in the last 6 months, as well as distribution partnerships with Redington and Ingram Micro. Apple is also making its iPhone easier to purchase with installment based payment schemes through its retail partners, including the nation wide retail chain, TheMobileStore.
Apple sees huge growth in India, but trails behind competitors originally appeared on TUAW – The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Fri, 08 Feb 2013 11:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
- Download iOS 7.0.6
- How To Jailbreak iOS 7 – 7.0.6 Untethered On iPhone 5s, 5c, 5, 4s And More With Evasi0n7
- How To Downgrade iOS 7 To iOS 6.1.3 / 6.1.4
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.3 On iPhone 4, iPod touch 4 and iPhone 3GS Using Redsn0w
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 4,3GS, iPod touch 4 Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.11
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 5,4S, iPad, iPod touch Using Evasi0n 1.5
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6 With Official Cydia On iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS And iPod touch 4G Using Redsn0w 0.9.15b1