Apple threatens defamation lawsuit in Chinese iPad trademark case
Apple and Proview are in a heated legal battle over the ownership of the iPad name in China and now Apple is threatening to sue the Asian company for defamation.
Apple is upset with Proview’s attempt to reclaim the iPad trademark and use it to ban iPad sales in China. According to PC World, Apple supposedly sent a letter to Proview founder Yang Rongshan which says,
“It is inappropriate to release information contrary to the facts to the media, especially when such disclosures have the effect of wrongfully causing damage to Apple’s reputation,”
Apple’s letter follows a public press conference by Yang during which he claimed Proview never transferred the trademark to Apple. Yang claims the Taiwan subsidiary did not have the authority to sell the trademark and the main Proview company was not aware of the deal.
Apple asserts it owns the trademark and bought it from Proview’s Taiwan subsidiary in 2009 with the knowledge and consent of the parent company. Apple supposedly has emails to back up this claim and has already won a case in a Hong Kong court.
Undeterred, Proview continues to pursue its legal battle in China and is asking Apple for US$400 million in compensation to settle the case. It’s also seeking a ban on the import and export of the iPad into the country and has halted sales of the tablet in select Chinese cities.
- Download iOS 7.0.6
- How To Jailbreak iOS 7 – 7.0.6 Untethered On iPhone 5s, 5c, 5, 4s And More With Evasi0n7
- How To Downgrade iOS 7 To iOS 6.1.3 / 6.1.4
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.3 On iPhone 4, iPod touch 4 and iPhone 3GS Using Redsn0w
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 4,3GS, iPod touch 4 Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.11
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 5,4S, iPad, iPod touch Using Evasi0n 1.5
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6 With Official Cydia On iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS And iPod touch 4G Using Redsn0w 0.9.15b1