AT&T planning new option to hinder stolen iPhones
According to The Verge, AT&T is set to launch a new service meant to thwart cellphone thieves. The company will allow customers to shut down voice, data and SMS on stolen devices.
AT&T has reportedly issued information to employees on how the service will work. Customers will be required to inform an appropriate AT&T rep of a missing phone, etc. By shutting down those three services, customers will prevent the phone from being used without having to endure the inconvenience of a SIM block. This may tie into April’s news of a national multi-carrier registry of stolen phones.
It’s worth noting that turning off data service will presumably also knock out Apple’s Find My iPhone capability, which would impair users’ ability to track down their own phones. No word on cost or availability of the service from AT&T yet, but we have reached out to them for comment.
You may also like to check out:
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.3 On iPhone 4, iPod touch 4 and iPhone 3GS Using Redsn0w
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 4,3GS, iPod touch 4 Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.11
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 5,4S, iPad, iPod touch Using Evasi0n 1.5
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6 With Official Cydia On iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS And iPod touch 4G Using Redsn0w 0.9.15b1
- How To Downgrade iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 4G From iOS 6 To 5.1.1 Using Redsn0w