Australian town relocated into desolate parkland, per iOS 6 Maps
The town of Mildura in the Australian state of Victoria is home to some 30,000 people and is known for its agricultural bounty, particularly when it comes to wine grapes. Unfortunately, if you take iOS 6 Maps at its word, the town is missing. Maps searches for Mildura resolve to a point some 70 kilometers away, in the Murray-Sunset National Park.
The Herald Sun newspaper reports that local police are quite concerned about this, given that the park is semi-arid, quite remote and there’s no water available. MacRumors points to an ABC Australia report citing six individuals rescued from the park in the last two months, with at least five vehicles stranded. The constabulary is encouraging motorists not to use Apple’s Maps app for guidance until this issue is resolved — and to use common sense when dealing with any GPS application.
“It should have been reasonably obvious to most people that things weren’t what they should be,” said police inspector Simon Clemence. “If you’re driving from a capital city to a major rural town you would think there would be bitumen under your feet all the way and I think a lot of people realise that and come out, but some people just rely on the technology so my advice is you can’t put your faith in technology. If it doesn’t look right, if it doesn’t smell right, it’s probably not right.”
I’m curious how many drivers are literally entering the town itself as a destination rather than a particular intersection or address, and whether or not that might result in more accurate routing. But in any event, a glaring Maps error of this sort is likely to be prioritized for rapid correction by Apple’s team of geocoders.
Thanks Billy C.
Australian town relocated into desolate parkland, per iOS 6 Maps originally appeared on TUAW – The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 12:15:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
You may also like to check out:
- How To Downgrade iOS 7 Beta To iOS 6.1.3 / 6.1.4
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.3 On iPhone 4, iPod touch 4 and iPhone 3GS Using Redsn0w
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 4,3GS, iPod touch 4 Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.11
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 5,4S, iPad, iPod touch Using Evasi0n 1.5
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6 With Official Cydia On iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS And iPod touch 4G Using Redsn0w 0.9.15b1
- How To Downgrade iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 4G From iOS 6 To 5.1.1 Using Redsn0w