Category Archives: News
There’s probably not many people reading this who don’t like sharing photos with family and friends. We do it through email, through Facebook, through Twitter. But many still like receiving photos the old-fashioned way — in print. If you’re one of those people, or if you know people who prefer prints, you might want to check out Kicksend.
Kicksend is a service and app that allows you to upload completely uncompressed images from your iPhone’s camera roll and send them to almost any Walgreens, Target, or CVS in the country where they can be picked up by your friends or relatives in under an hour. If a one-hour time frame isn’t of the utmost importance, you can also skip the middleman and have Kicksend mail the printed photos directly to your selected recipients.
The International Trade Commission has announced it will take a look at a split ruling made by one of the judges in the long-running Apple/Samsung patent battle, according to Reuters. Specifically, the ITC will review a ruling that found Samsung had infringed on Apple’s text selection process in iOS. It will also look into a decision that ruled that Samsung did not infringe on an Apple patent related to external microphone detection. A new ruling could have important significance to Apple as the ITC has the power to ban importation of products into a country if that product is found to infringe on another company’s patents. Reuters says a final decision is due August 1.
Trade panel to look at split ruling in Apple/Samsung patent battle originally appeared on TUAW – The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Wed, 29 May 2013 21:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
CBS News Sunday Morning correspondent and humorist Mo Rocca recently sat down with USA Today to talk about his iPhone’s importance to him. I’ll let the video speak for itself (especially when he’s talking about using the iPhone to groom his hair), but one thing I did find genuinely intriguing is that he is an iOS user who needs to constantly close apps by bringing up the multitasking bar and tapping the red minus button — even though iOS is built so you should never need to close open apps. Does that make him an ultimate techie or obsessive-compulsive? With humorists you never know.
Now that USB 3.0 has become mainstream in the Mac market, we’re hearing about a lot more USB 3.0-based drives and accessories. Of course, once you’ve run out of ports on your Mac, you either need to swap devices or get yourself a hub. Satechi, the company that wowed us with a 10-port USB 3.0 hub earlier this year, has just announced the 7-port USB 3.0 Premium Aluminum Hub (US$69.99, specially priced now for $54.99).
Made from aluminum and echoing the design of Apple’s Wireless Keyboard and Magic Trackpad, the hub is perfect for any of your favorite Macs, from the thin MacBook Air to the latest iMac. It’s powered through an included wall adapter, and comes with either white or black trim. Best of all, it’s available now through Satechi’s website and Amazon.
It’s time to save some of that hard-earned cash with our Daily Deals, featuring a handy list from Dealnews and our own hand-picked selections that include some sweet deals on iOS and OS X software (all prices are USD).
Deals from Dealnews
- Rakuten Shopping: [Keyboards] Mobee Inductive Charger for Apple Keyboard, Trackpad for $9 + free shipping
- MacUpdate Promo: [Mac Software] Together 3 for Mac downloads for $20
- MacGameStore.com: [Mac Games] Feral Games 6-Game Bundle for Mac for $20
- MacMall: [Apple Computers] MacMall Memorial Day Sale: Up to $1,099 off Macs, iPads, and more
- Best Buy: [Phones & Cell Phones] Best Buy: Trade in a used cell phone for up to a $360 gift card
- MegaMacs: [Flat-Panel/LCDs] Iomega Rearview Mirror for LCD Displays for $9 + $3 s&h
- all4cellular.com: [iPhone Cases] Screenshot Illusion Case for iPhone 4 / 4S for $2 + free shipping
- TigerDirect: [Notebook Carrying Case] Solo Vector Slim Laptop Case for $0 after rebate + $2 s&h, more
- Adorama: [Camera Accessories] Kata DPS Series DSLR Camera / Accessory Bag for $30 + free shipping
- all4cellular.com: [Camera Accessories] 36-LED Video Light Panel for $20 + free shipping
- Verizon Broadband: [Computer Services] Verizon FiOS Triple Play w/ $200 Visa Card, router, no activation for $90/month
- Rakuten Shopping: [Laser Printers] Dell WiFi Monochrome Laser Printer for $55 + free shipping