CES 2013: Fitbug launches the Orb, for tracking sleep and activity via iOS
Whatever you do, don’t confuse the Fitbug with its similarly-titled competitor, the Fitbit — we accidentally did so at this week’s CES Unveiled event, and the company’s rep gave us a stern correction. In our defense, it’s easy to mix the two up: They obviously sound similar, and they perform similar tasks, both tracking health and calorie consumption via a Bluetooth app. But Fitbug’s new Orb unit hopes to do even more than the popular Fitbit — not only will it track calories burned through the pedometer, but it will also measure sleep (presumably by noting when you’re laying down and going inactive).
The Fitbug will hook up with any iOS device, and can deliver data through a continuous stream, set data to be kicked out at certain times, or follow your directions through a Push mode. The unit can be worn around the wrist, clipped on, or there’s a necklace attachment as well. The Orb is available now from Fitbug directly, for a price of £45 (or US $73).
The company has also introduced a line of Bluetooth enabled scales this week called the Fitbug Wow, that will also track your progress and share it across to a series of iPhone apps. That information can also be browsed through on the website, to mingle up with whatever data you’ve collected from the Orb. The scales will be out in March, and can be bought for either £70 or £100 ($114, or $163), depending on whether you buy the packaged Air activity tracker as well.
There are already a number of solutions out there for activity tracking like this, but Fitbug is throwing its hat into the arena with a passion. We’ll have to wait and see, as the year goes on, if one of these solutions can fight its way up to the top.
CES 2013: Fitbug launches the Orb, for tracking sleep and activity via iOS originally appeared on TUAW – The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Mon, 07 Jan 2013 20:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
- Download iOS 7.1.1
- How To Jailbreak iOS 7 – 7.1 Untethered On iPhone 5s, 5c, 5, 4s And More With Evasi0n7
- How To Downgrade iOS 7.1-7.1.1 To iOS 6.1.3 / 6.1.2
- How To Downgrade iOS 7 To iOS 6.1.3 / 6.1.4
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.3 On iPhone 4, iPod touch 4 and iPhone 3GS Using Redsn0w
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 4,3GS, iPod touch 4 Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.11
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 5,4S, iPad, iPod touch Using Evasi0n 1.5
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6 With Official Cydia On iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS And iPod touch 4G Using Redsn0w 0.9.15b1