DevJuice: Sneaking a peek at Bill Van Hecke’s upcoming book
If the name William Van Hecke doesn’t ring a bell, he’s the User Experience Lead for The Omni Group. He’s the guy behind those beautiful interfaces, or as he puts it, “I try to make Omni Group software look presentable and behave politely.”
When my editor at Pearson said I could get a sneak peak at his Learning iOS Design manuscript, I jumped at the opportunity. I’ve heard Bill speak several times at conferences, and am a big fan of his practical design approach.
Learning iOS Design is basically design porn for developers. It offers chapter after chapter of advice, tips, and explanation. From a tour of system-supplied classes to the essence of visual and functional simplicity, this book provides an in-depth dive of app design and the user experience.
My favorite of the chapters I was able to preview were Chapters 8 and 9, “The Graceful Interface” and “The Gracious Interface,” which describes how apps accommodate user tasks in both beautiful and user-centered ways. Other chapters discussed the design tension between richness and plainness, goal-centered design (with a big section on removing features that distract from an app’s focus), prototyping, and developing cross platform.
DevJuice: Sneaking a peek at Bill Van Hecke’s upcoming book originally appeared on TUAW – The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Mon, 11 Mar 2013 15:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
You may also like to check out:
- How To Downgrade iOS 7 Beta To iOS 6.1.3 / 6.1.4
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.3 On iPhone 4, iPod touch 4 and iPhone 3GS Using Redsn0w
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 4,3GS, iPod touch 4 Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.11
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 5,4S, iPad, iPod touch Using Evasi0n 1.5
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6 With Official Cydia On iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS And iPod touch 4G Using Redsn0w 0.9.15b1
- How To Downgrade iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 4G From iOS 6 To 5.1.1 Using Redsn0w