Dyle brings live TV to iOS with some big limitations
While there are plenty of ways to watch TV programming on iOS devices, including iTunes episode downloads and apps from networks such as HBO, options to watch live television have been limited. We’ve looked at Aereo, but while we were impressed by its functionality, it’s only available in New York City. Dyle’s new solution works nationwide but comes with its own limitations.
Dyle uses a free app in conjunction with an Elgato EyeTV over-the-air tuner for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. This piece of hardware, which uses either a telescoping or rod antenna and its own battery, is US$99 from a handful of retailers. It’s a standard-definition tuner, so it’s not capable of receiving high-definition programming.
Beyond the pricey required hardware and lack of HD, Dyle’s biggest drawbacks are its limited programming options and areas in which it can be used. Currently, Dyle is available in 35 US markets. Within them, a handful of stations are offered, including Fox, ABC, and NBC and Univision, but not all are available in all locations. In the San Francisco Bay Area, for example, only Fox, NBC, Univision and two local channels are available. NFL football is blacked out.
Dyle hasn’t said if more programming options will be forthcoming, so for now its appeal seems as limited as its channel selection.
Dyle brings live TV to iOS with some big limitations originally appeared on TUAW – The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
- Download iOS 7.0.6
- How To Jailbreak iOS 7 – 7.0.6 Untethered On iPhone 5s, 5c, 5, 4s And More With Evasi0n7
- How To Downgrade iOS 7 To iOS 6.1.3 / 6.1.4
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.3 On iPhone 4, iPod touch 4 and iPhone 3GS Using Redsn0w
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 4,3GS, iPod touch 4 Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.11
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 5,4S, iPad, iPod touch Using Evasi0n 1.5
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6 With Official Cydia On iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS And iPod touch 4G Using Redsn0w 0.9.15b1