iH8sn0w – the developer behind popular iPhone jailbreak tools such as sn0wbreeze for iPhone 3.1.3 / 4.0, f0recast and BlackBreeze has just written a detailed tutorial on how to jailbreak iPhone 3GS (with new bootrom) on iOS 4. But as I mentioned earlier, there is a little catch to it.
1) it is a tethered jailbreak (whenever you turn off your phone, you will need to re-connect it to a computer to be able to turn it back on) and
2) it will only work for those devices which have their SHSH blobs (ECID SHSH) files for 3.1.2 (NOT 3.1.3) saved on Cydia.
If you meet all the requirements, and have lots of patience, you can follow the guide posted below to jailbreak your iPhone 3GS (with new bootrom) on iOS 4.
Note: All the standard warnings apply. This is for advanced users only. Only proceed if you think you know your iPhone inside out.
Pwning 4.0 on New Bootrom 3G[S] w/3.1.2 SHSH Blobs
I wrote this all on the road with my iPad, so sorry if there is any major Grammar errors. If anyone points out any errors, I’ll fix it up. Anyways…
I figured making a tool would take a bit too long. So, i’m going to write up this tutorial. It isn’t recommended for regular users.
**BEFORE PROCEEDING, ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE YOUR PHONE BACKED UP!**
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
* An iPhone 3G[S] — new bootrom
* 3.1.2 SHSH blobs.
* difrnt’s iBSS grabber (http://bit.ly/3QLb5S)
* Payload Pwner for the 3GS. (http://www.mediafire.com/?jy0wzomw2jk)
* sn0wbreeze V1.6.2
* iBooty (http://www.mediafire.com/?qwzzjhziwz0)
* LibUSB (64-Bit users read carefully!!!)
* 3.1.2/4.0 3GS firmware downloaded.
STEP A : Grabbing your 3.1.2 iBSS file.
Pointing your hosts :
I : If you have your shsh blobs saved on Cydia/Saurik’s server then follow this tutorial. — http://saurik.com/id/12
II : If you have it saved with TinyUmbrella, then download the GUI here. — http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/
Restoring to grab the iBSS file.
I : Place your device in DFU.
II : Start up the iBSS/iBEC grabber.
III : Put the save folder on a new folder on your desktop.
IV : Hit “Start Monitoring”.
V : Now go back to iTunes and do SHIFT + Restore. Then browse for your 3.1.2 IPSW. You will need to restore
to 3.1.2 in order to pwn 4.0.
Saving your iBSS
I : After Restoring, Go to the folder that you have specified to save your iBSS file.
II : You will see folders like (Per**.tmp). Go into one of them, and you’ll see a folder called “Firmware”. Go there. Then go to the folder “dfu”.
III : Copy the iBSS file to a safe place, then you can remove the folder created by the iBSS Grabber.
STEP B : Creating custom 4.0 firmware.
I : Download sn0wbreeze and create your custom 4.0 ipsw. [How to Guide]
*Ignore the warnings after browsing for the ipsw.*
STEP C : Installing LibUSB for iRecovery
Run this mini tool to detect your O/S + Arch. — Windows + Arch. Detector (http://www.mediafire.com/?imyzm2t3zam)
WARNING : IF LIBUSB IS NOT INSTALLED PROPERLY, YOUR USB MIGHT NO LONGER WORK!
Windows XP Users download this installer — LibUSB Installer (http://www.mediafire.com/?zyy0mjthhij)
Windows Vista/7 users RUNNING 32-Bit:
* Download the installer (http://www.mediafire.com/?zyy0mjthhij) and run it in compatibility mode for Windows XP.
If you are a 64-Bit user, follow this tutorial – (http://bit.ly/9N423f)
Once LibUSB is installed iRecovery should be able to function now.
STEP D : Pwning iBSS + iBoot
I : Download this easy tool here — Payload Pwner for 3GS // It will help you create the payloads.
**SAVE THE PAYLOADS WHERE iBooty is.**
STEP E : iBooty Prep.
Most of you know of the utility “iBooty” that I made for Aki_nG.
It will work as long as you place all of the correct files there.
I : Download iBooty GUI here — iBooty for 3GS (http://www.mediafire.com/?qwzzjhziwz0) and Extract it.
II : Extract your Custom IPSW created by sn0wbreeze with 7-Zip or another un-archiver.
III : Grab the kernelcache and bring it into the same folder as ibooty.
Also grab the iBEC from the folder “FirmwaredfuiBEC.n88ap.RELEASE.dfu”
* Rename your iBSS 3.1.2 signed to “ibss312.dfu”
* Rename your Kernel 4.0-Custom to “kernel.40”
* Rename your iBEC 4.0-Custom to “ibec40.dfu”
Your folder should look like this :
– iboot.payload <– Created with Payload Pwner.
– exploitibss312 <– Created with Payload Pwner.
– ibec40.dfu <– Grabbed from Custom IPSW made by sn0wbreeze.
– irecovery.exe <– Comes with iBooty.
– readline5.dll <– Comes with iBooty.
– iBooty.exe <– Comes with iBooty.
– ibss312.dfu <– THIS NEEDS TO BE YOUR iBSS from the restore!
– kernel.40 <– Grab from Custom IPSW made by sn0wbreeze.
– sn0w.img3 <– Comes with iBooty.
STEP F : Restoring to 4.0 + Booting
*MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON 3.1.2 WHEN DOING THIS*
I : Run iBooty and Select “Prepare Device for Custom Firmware”. Run the Process and if you see a snow flake, you can proceed!
II : Now open iTunes and restore to the custom ipsw.
***WHEN DONE, YOUR DEVICE WILL HAVE A BLACK SCREEN AND NOT BOOT! ITS IN A DFU LOOP [THIS IS NORMAL!]***
STEP G : Booting
I : Just Re-Run iBooty and select “Boot It”. If all goes well it will boot!
Once you have jailbroken your phone, you can unlock it using ultrasn0w 0.93 (on any baseband), guide for which is posted here.
Again, this is currently for iPhone 3GS with new bootrom only. Apparently, a similar guide for iPod touch (MC models) and iPod touch 3G is also in works. Oh and a tool to automate all this procedure will be released (no ETA) some time later. Stay tuned for more!