How To Jailbreak iOS 6 With Official Cydia On iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS And iPod touch 4G Using Redsn0w 0.9.15b1
iPhone Dev-Team have just updated Redsn0w, adding full support for final public release of iOS 6 on select devices with official version of Cydia, along with tons of new features which are detailed after the jump.
Redsn0w 0.9.15b1 for both Windows and Mac not only adds support for tethered jailbreak of iOS 6 on A4 based devices, but also for re-restoring and downgrading of select devices from iOS 6 to an older firmware, or in case of re-restoring, from iOS 5.x to iOS 5.x.
First and foremost, it is important to note this is a tethered jailbreak and is only meant for devices boasting an A4 processor (or below), namely: the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and the 4th-gen iPod touch. Devices with A5 (iPhone 4S, iPad 2), A5X (iPad 3) and A6 (iPhone 5) processors are not supported at this point. Hacktivation + baseband preservation support has also been added for iPhone 4 and 3GS.
This latest version of Redsn0w does not require the user to go through the trouble of downloading and pointing the app to the iOS 6 IPSW for the jailbreak (the older version of Redsn0w, as mentioned in our previous jailbreak iOS 6 guide, required manual IPSW selection). Instead, the latest Redsn0w recognizes the firmware already installed on your device, downloads the required files and proceeds with the jailbreak. It’s that simple. Cydia, as mentioned above, is now also included as part of this Redsn0w’s release.
Instructions on how-to jailbreak iOS 6:
1. Redsn0w 0.9.15b1 (Windows / Mac) can be downloaded from here.
2. Download iOS 6 from here, and update your A4 powered device to it. (check out this post if you want to read on how to update to iOS 6 the right way. Those of you who rely on unlock please read the note below before proceeding with the update.)
3. Start Redsn0w. Run it in Administrator mode if you are on Windows. OS X Mountain Lion users need to start it by Ctrl-Click on the Redsn0w icon and then selecting Open from the new menu.
4. Click on Jailbreak, select Cydia and enter DFU mode when Redsn0w prompts you to with the help of onscreen instructions. Once the device is in DFU mode, Redsn0w will start jailbreaking the device using limera1n exploit. When done, select “Autoboot this device when it connects in DFU mode” option to enter tethered mode for the time being.
After a short while, the device will reboot with familiar Cydia icon on the home screen.
Note for iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS Ultrasn0w unlockers: You will first need to preserve your older baseband to be eligible for unlock. Click on “Extras” option and then select “Custom IPSW” option. Select the required iOS 6 IPSW file for your device, and let Redsn0w make the custom firmware for you. Once done, enter Pwned DFU mode by selecting “Pwned DFU” from Redsn0w’s Extras option, and then restore to this custom firmware.
How to boot your device tethered on iOS 6:
Since this is a tethered iOS 6 jailbreak, you will need to boot your device in a tethered mode every time the device is turned off and back on. Booting in tethered mode is easy, and can be achieved using Redsn0w: click on the “Extras” from the main screen and then simply click on “Just Boot” option. Follow the on-screen instructions. Once done, you will be rebooted back into tethered-jailbreak mode.
Cydia on iPhone 4, running iOS 6
New re-restore features have also been introduced by the Dev Team in this version of Redsn0w. It now allows third-gen iPad and iPhone 4S users to RE-restore to any version of iOS 5.x even if Apple is currently not signing the software, provided that your SHSH blobs are saved for iOS 5.x, and the device is currently running iOS 5.x (not iOS 6) that too updated via iTunes, not OTA. iPad 2 users will also be able to downgrade if they have blobs for both 4.x and 5.x saved – even from iOS 6. The A4 based iPhone 4, 3GS and 4th-gen iPod touch users can of course always downgrade to an older firmware for untethered jailbreak provided that they have SHSH blobs saved for the firmware they want to downgrade on (instructions here). Instructions on how to re-restore the above mentioned devices from iOS 5.x-to-iOS 5.x are detailed here.
It is also important to note that currently there is no untethered jailbreak for iOS 6 (or even tethered jailbreak other than the devices mentioned above) available for public. The Dev-Teams though are working hard on it. We reported about iPhone 5 jailbreak being achieved last month on the launch day. But of course, it is no where near ready for primetime use yet. We will obviously let you know whenever it is.
You may also like to check out:
- Download iOS 7.0.3
- How To Downgrade iOS 7 To iOS 6.1.3 / 6.1.4
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.3 On iPhone 4, iPod touch 4 and iPhone 3GS Using Redsn0w
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 4,3GS, iPod touch 4 Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.11
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 5,4S, iPad, iPod touch Using Evasi0n 1.5
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6 With Official Cydia On iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS And iPod touch 4G Using Redsn0w 0.9.15b1
- How To Downgrade iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 4G From iOS 6 To 5.1.1 Using Redsn0w