Java updated again, Snow Leopard users cannot run browser applets
Another week, another Java exploit: Computerworld notes that Oracle has once again updated the Java VM for all platforms to fend off a prospective exploit. The update is technically the scheduled February critical updates release, but the delivery was pushed up.
Unfortunately, while Mac users on OS X 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion can upgrade their JVMs using Oracle’s installer for Java 7, Snow Leopard (10.6.8) machines are out of luck. Oracle’s Java 7 installer won’t run, and as of yesterday Apple’s supplied Java 6 is blocked by Apple’s own XProtect malware shield — it won’t do applets in Safari or Firefox until it’s patched.
There are some hacky workarounds for either disabling/modifying the XProtect manifest (not recommended) or getting Java 7 to install on 10.6.8 (also not recommended) — but if you need to run Java in the browser on 10.6.8, there aren’t many better options.
Speaking of recommendations, TJ’s Reasonable Guide to Java security is a good resource for managing your risks with Oracle’s runtime.
Java updated again, Snow Leopard users cannot run browser applets originally appeared on TUAW – The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Fri, 01 Feb 2013 20:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
- Download iOS 7.1.1
- How To Jailbreak iOS 7 – 7.1 Untethered On iPhone 5s, 5c, 5, 4s And More With Evasi0n7
- How To Downgrade iOS 7.1-7.1.1 To iOS 6.1.3 / 6.1.2
- How To Downgrade iOS 7 To iOS 6.1.3 / 6.1.4
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.3 On iPhone 4, iPod touch 4 and iPhone 3GS Using Redsn0w
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 4,3GS, iPod touch 4 Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.11
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 5,4S, iPad, iPod touch Using Evasi0n 1.5
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6 With Official Cydia On iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS And iPod touch 4G Using Redsn0w 0.9.15b1