TUAW reader Ryan B wrote us over the weekend, asking if we could confirm a behavior he’d observed when transferring files over iMessage.
“A friend and I noticed today that when you send .mp3 files through iMessage on Mac, the quality of the MP3 is downgraded.” He adds, “This appears to only happen with .mp3 files as .m4p’s are unaltered when received.”
A report from MacRumors claims the cellular versions of the fourth-generation Retina iPad are shipping and will land on doorsteps by the end of the week. Customers who pre-ordered the iPad are receiving shipping notices with an estimated delivery date of November 16th. iPad mini pre-orders have not shipped yet and are rumored to land on November 21st, the day before the US Thanksgiving holiday.
MacRumors also claims that the iPad mini and the fourth generation iPad will be eligible for AT&T’s new $100 off tablet promotion starting November 16th. Customers buying a new tablet will receive $100 off the retail price, if they sign up for a new two-year data plan. AT&T announced the promotion last week, but did not specifically mention Apple’s latest tablet devices or their sale date in the announcement.
Apple has released two new TV ads for the iPad mini. Following on the success of the popular “Piano” commercial, “Photos” and “Books” (seen below) both capture the idea that the iPad mini can do everything that its bigger sibling can do, just in a smaller form factor.
“Photos” features the voices of Bobby Darin and Johnny Mercer in a 1960 recording of “Two of a Kind,” as related photos are displayed on an iPad and iPad mini. “Books” pairs up books on the two screens — The Sun Also Rises alongside The Valley of the Moon, East of Eden next to How the West Was Won and Moby Dick facing off with Gone Fishing.
While it’s not the first US use of an iPhone app to substitute for a paper ticket on a rail line — Amtrak has been doing this for several months — the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority (MBTA) has just rolled out the new mTicket app (free) to allow the purchase and display of digital tickets on the South Shore line.
The MBTA notes that about half of its 140 commuter rail stations don’t have ticket booths or machines, so riders have to resort to the time-consuming task of purchasing a ticket onboard. By putting a virtual ticket booth into the pockets and purses of riders, MBTA is providing a way to streamline the ticket purchasing and validation process on its trains.
It’s time to save some of that hard-earned cash with our Daily Deals, featuring a handy list from Dealnews and our own hand-picked selections. Today, we’ve got some iPad and iPhone accessories in the mix and, as always, some sweet deals on iOS and OS X software (all prices are USD).
Hardware and Accessories
- AT&T Wireless: [Tablets] AT&T: $100 off any tablet w/ 2-year data plan, includes iPad, Galaxy Tab 2.
- Best Buy: [USB Flash Drives] Mimoco 4GB Mimobot USB Flash Drives for $6 + free shipping.
- B&H Photo Video: [Inkjet Printers] Canon PIXMA Multifunction Inkjet Printer for $20 + free shipping.
- ThingFling: [iPhone Accessories] Philips Battery Pack with 3 Compression Sleeves for $10 + $6 s&h.
- all4cellular.com: [iPhone Cases] Aluminum Hard Sparkle Shell Case for Apple iPhone 4/4S for $1 + $2 s&h.
- HandHeldItems: [iPad Accessories] 3rd-Generation iPad Cases: Extra 20% off, deals from $3 + $3 s&h.
- B&H Photo Video: [20-Inch LCDs] HP W2072a 20″ LED-Backlit LCD Display for $66 + free shipping.
- MegaMacs: [Mac Pro] Refurb Mac Pro Xeon Quad 2.66GHz Desktop for $700 + $27 s&h.
- CowBoom: [iPods] Used Apple iPod touch 8GB MP3 Player (4th-gen) for $100 + free shipping.
- all4cellular.com: [iPhone Batteries] Refurb Mophie Juice Pack Cases for iPhone: Deals from $20 + free shipping.