iOS 7 is now in its fifth beta incarnation and going through intense scrutiny by developers as the release date for the new mobile OS nears. Several iOS 7 beta testers have apparently decided to break NDA and conduct polls to judge the public’s opinion on both the user interface and specific app icons when compared to the iOS 6 versions.
Polar user LukeW went through the various iOS interface elements such as switches, the date picker, status bar, navigation bar, etc… and asked the public to vote on whether they preferred the iOS 6 or iOS 7 version. In every case, the iOS 7 versions were the winner. While I won’t go through every result, here are some vote results for important iOS 7 UI elements:
- Date Picker — iOS 7: 1365 votes, iOS 6: 404 votes
- Status Bar — iOS 7: 1199 votes, iOS 6: 543 votes
- Share Sheet — iOS 7: 1022 votes, iOS 6: 261 votes
- Lock Screen — iOS 7: 1054 votes, iOS 6: 254 votes
- Notification — iOS 7: 1087 votes, iOS 6: 200 votes
Of course, there were certain commenters who hated all of the iOS 7 elements in this decidedly unscientific poll (we’re looking at you, autumn…).
Not to be outdone, Polar user Giantsquid looked at side by side comparisons of app icons. The results weren’t as grossly tilted towards iOS 7 as they were in the UI elements poll:
- Contacts icon — iOS 7: 19702 votes, iOS 6: 8979 votes
- Siri icon — iOS 7: 6914 votes, iOS 6: 8243 votes
- Passbook icon — iOS 7: 16096 votes, iOS 6: 14233 votes
- Maps icon — iOS 7: 10904 votes, iOS 6: 4195 votes
- Safari icon — iOS 7: 10597 votes, iOS 6: 17593 votes
The results of both of these polls are subject to scrutiny; the votes represent only a tiny sample of the millions of iOS users around the world. But it’s interesting to see how people are reacting to the look and feel of iOS 7 — mostly in a positive light.
Polar polls shows high user acceptance of iOS 7 UI and icons originally appeared on TUAW – The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Wed, 07 Aug 2013 15:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.