Prepaid iPhone in the works? Tim Cook’s comments paraphrased and interpreted
Apple’s Chief Operating Officer, Tim Cook, recently spoke with Bernstein Research analyst Toni Sacconaghi about Apple’s possible plans to introduce cheaper or prepaid iPhones. While Sacconaghi didn’t give any exact quotes, he paraphrased a few of Cook’s thoughts.
“Tim stopped short of explicitly stating that Apple would pursue a lower price iPhone,” Sacconaghi said, but Cook said Apple is “working hard to ‘figure out’ the prepaid market.” According to Sacconaghi, Cook and Apple want to dispel the impression that Apple’s products are “just for the rich.” Cook also called China “a classic prepaid market,” which certainly indicates Apple is interested in pursuing that market.
The use of prepaid SIM cards for iPhones isn’t new in some parts of the world — such deals are common in a number of countries in Europe — but you do pay handsomely for the iPhone if you choose this route.
Perhaps rumors about smaller iPhones aren’t correct, and instead Apple will find a way to make a same-sized model with cheaper parts. Or perhaps earlier models will be sold on the prepaid market instead of, as in the past, with regular contracts.
You may also like to check out:
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.3 On iPhone 4, iPod touch 4 and iPhone 3GS Using Redsn0w
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 4,3GS, iPod touch 4 Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.11
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 5,4S, iPad, iPod touch Using Evasi0n 1.5
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6 With Official Cydia On iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS And iPod touch 4G Using Redsn0w 0.9.15b1
- How To Downgrade iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 4G From iOS 6 To 5.1.1 Using Redsn0w