Qualcomm tried to get Apple to put a radio in the Newton
Steve Jobs will be forever known for his moving introduction of Apple’s first phone in 2007, but history may have been different had Apple worked more closely with Qualcomm in the 90s. According to a report in Venture Beat, Qualcomm courted Apple and tried to get the company to put a cellular radio in the Newton. The Newton could have become Apple’s first smartphone, but the company rejected Qualcomm’s proposal.
Qualcomm, though, knew the future was in cellular technology and foresaw the coming age of mobile devices. Rebuffed by Apple, the chip company approached Palm, which happily accepted the offer. The pair produced the Qualcomm PDQ, an early model smartphone and the first of many PalmOS devices to sport a cellular radio.
Qualcomm tried to get Apple to put a radio in the Newton originally appeared on TUAW – The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Thu, 03 Jan 2013 10:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
- Download iOS 7.1.1
- How To Jailbreak iOS 7 – 7.1 Untethered On iPhone 5s, 5c, 5, 4s And More With Evasi0n7
- How To Downgrade iOS 7.1-7.1.1 To iOS 6.1.3 / 6.1.2
- How To Downgrade iOS 7 To iOS 6.1.3 / 6.1.4
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.3 On iPhone 4, iPod touch 4 and iPhone 3GS Using Redsn0w
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 4,3GS, iPod touch 4 Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.11
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 5,4S, iPad, iPod touch Using Evasi0n 1.5
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6 With Official Cydia On iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS And iPod touch 4G Using Redsn0w 0.9.15b1