The App Store is a very different place than it was four years ago, and nothing makes that point better than Appsfire’s 2012 roundup infographic. Arguably the most telling statistic regarding the current state of apps is that just 34% of apps released in 2012 landed in the Paid category, with the other 66% being free to download.

But what does this say about the App Store? Has it suddenly become a cheapskate’s paradise? Not really. As opposed to 2008, when 74% of apps were paid from the start, app publishers are embracing the “freemium” model more and more, relying on in-app purchases and upgrades to bring in the cash instead of charging upfront.

The infographic also reveals that despite being released just days ago, Google Maps managed to take the title of highest-reviewed non-game app. On the gaming side of things, Angry Birds Space snagged the top spot.

Report reveals just 34% of apps released in 2012 were paid originally appeared on TUAW – The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 18:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Source | Permalink | Email this | Comments

You can follow on Twitter or join our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Apple and the Web.