An iPhone self-ignited during a Regional Express flight in Australia due to a faulty repair. According to a Sydney Morning Post article, the smoking phone was spotted by a cabin crew member, shortly after the plane landed at the Sydney Airport on November 25, 2011. The crew member asked the passenger to throw the overheating device into the aisle and blasted it with a fire extinguisher.

The iPhone was sent to the US for analysis where it was discovered that a faulty repair created a short circuit in the device. According to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau report, an unauthorized repair facility had pierced the battery’s casing when it misplaced a screw during re-assembly of the iPhone. This created a short circuit which caused the battery to overheat and smoke.

Smoking iPhone emphasizes importance of authorized repair work originally appeared on TUAW – The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Fri, 04 May 2012 13:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Source | Permalink | Email this | Comments

You can follow on Twitter or join our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Apple and the Web.