The Homebrew Computer Club first met 38 years ago today
Today marks the 38th anniversary of the first Homebrew Computer Club meeting. The Homebrew Computer Club was an eclectic collection of computer enthusiasts who gathered to meet and talk about tech. It was started in 1975 by Gordon French and Fred Moore. The first meeting was held in French’s garage in Menlo Park, Calif.
Besides talking, hacking and helping each other, the group also wrote a newsletter that was distributed around Silicon Valley. One of the biggest developments to come out of the Homebrew Computer Club was Steve Wozniak’s prototype Apple-1, which was shown off to the group in July 1976 and later sold commercially for US$666.66.
There are a lot of good articles about this group and those early days of Silicon Valley, but some of my favorites are this recollection from Wozniak, this memoir from Homebrew Computer Club member Bob Lash and this collection from the Computer History Museum. If you have any other favorites of your own, please share them in the comments.
[Image from Bob Lash, who scribbled the date and address for the first Homebrew Computer Club meeting on the back of an envelope. ]
The Homebrew Computer Club first met 38 years ago today originally appeared on TUAW – The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Tue, 05 Mar 2013 16:15:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
- Download iOS 7.1.1
- How To Jailbreak iOS 7 – 7.1 Untethered On iPhone 5s, 5c, 5, 4s And More With Evasi0n7
- How To Downgrade iOS 7.1-7.1.1 To iOS 6.1.3 / 6.1.2
- How To Downgrade iOS 7 To iOS 6.1.3 / 6.1.4
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.3 On iPhone 4, iPod touch 4 and iPhone 3GS Using Redsn0w
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 4,3GS, iPod touch 4 Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.11
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 5,4S, iPad, iPod touch Using Evasi0n 1.5
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6 With Official Cydia On iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS And iPod touch 4G Using Redsn0w 0.9.15b1