Here are a few of the most effective free apps, app updates and brand-new apps that have actually landed in the App Store lately.
All app prices are USD and conditional. Some deals may end swiftly, so grab them while you can.
Apps Now Free
Fotograf [iPhone; Now free, down from $1.99] Fotograf is the new standard for classic photography on iPhone.
TWiT Pro [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $0.99] TWiT is the best technology news network online. Every show is streamed live, for free, over the Internet 24 hours a day; they never turn the stream off.
Routina [iPhone; Now free, down from $0.99] Routina is checklists for the repeated tasks, such as ‘Pay rent’ or ‘Take pills’.
Dragon Portals [iPhone; Now free, down from $2.99] Venture into the Dragon Portal and help Mila save the world!
Dragon Portals HD [iPad; Now free, down from $5.99] Venture into the Dragon Portal and help Mila save the world!
Heavy Metal Thunder – The Interactive SciFi Gamebook [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $2.99] A thrilling journey across the darkest regions of space.
New and Notable Apps
Swing Tale [iPhone; $0.99] Shh… I think they are watching you.
Kingdom Rush Origins HD [iPad; $4.99] The most addicting tower defense game returns in an all-new prequel adventure – welcome to Kingdom Rush: Origins!
Offroad Legends 2 [iOS Universal; $1.99] This is your chance to experience the thrill of driving Monster Trucks, desert Trucks and 4×4 off-roaders over amazing jump filled tracks.
Updates you don’t want to miss
Ladders – Improve your Career [iPhone; Free] TheLadders isn’t just for jobs anymore. Version 3.0 brings the following changes:
- All of your favorite features from JobSearch along with more exciting tools to improve your career.
- Find new hires or colleagues by posting opportunities to receive referrals.
- Nurture your network by referring connections to job opportunities.
- Connect and chat with the professionals in your network who matter.
- Strengthen your relationships and open the door for future opportunities.
- Get recommendations from Ladders for jobs that are right for you.
Deliveries: a package tracker [iOS Universal; $4.99] Deliveries helps you keep track of all your packages, so you always know when they’re going to arrive. Version 6.0 brings the following changes:
- Notification Center: Deliveries now includes a Today widget so you can check on your deliveries right in Notification Center. When you get a notification you can also swipe to the left to archive it without having to open the app.
- Add deliveries faster: just enter the information you have and we’ll give you a list of options. There’s also a nice big button to open the barcode scanner, and it supports more barcode types than before. Best of all, there’s a new “Add to Deliveries” extension for Safari, so you can add new deliveries with just a couple of taps.
- A fresh look: we’ve refined the design to look even more at home on iOS 8, and to match our new app for OS X Yosemite. The layout also does a better job of adjusting to perfectly fit your screen. That includes support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus-even a great new landscape view on both of them.
- Dynamic type: Deliveries will now show larger or smaller text based on your settings.
- Fewer password hassles: if you have a junecloud.com password saved in Safari, the app will now ask if you’d like to use that when you install it for the first time. If you create an account in the app, your password is saved to your iCloud Keychain so you can log into the site quickly on your Mac. You can also use 1Password’s iOS 8 extension to fill in passwords faster than ever.
- Automatic favorite services: they’re now selected for you as you use them. If one shows up that you don’t need to see anymore, just swipe it and tap to hide it.
- A new name: I know what you’re thinking. “It’s still called Deliveries! It says right there on the app!” Well, that actually wasn’t the name before. But it is now. Don’t worry about it.
- So many little things: Improved iCloud support, especially with accounts that have iCloud Drive enabled. We made a bunch of things more efficient. Settings screens have helpful text and links to the Settings app where it’s appropriate. You can select and copy any of the text on the detail screen. Better “Last Updated” sorting. The online view gives you access to sharing options. Honestly, we rebuilt the whole thing from the ground up, and we worked so hard improving things that we forgot to write them all down.
- Note: iOS 8 is now required.