In this week’s top stories: iPhone 7 leaks, more on the rumored upcoming MacBook Pros with OLED touch bar, what’s in store for WWDC 2016, and much more.
Apple also launched its Back to School promo for 2016, and designer brand Coach started preparing for a launch of its Apple Watch bands next week. Head below for all of the handy links to these and our other top shared Apple stories this week.
We start off this week with the latest iPhone leaks including some alleged iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus cases showing both the expected new dual camera design and the rumored Smart Connector. Two separate reports claimed Apple will start the iPhone 7 at a base 32GB of storage, dropping the 16GB model entirely and offering a new 256GB option in addition to a mid-range 128GB capacity. Another story that made a lot of noise this week claimed Apple will move to a 3-year refresh cycle for major iPhone upgrades up from every other year and we discussed what that move would mean for customers.
- iPhone 7 & iPhone 7 Plus cases surface w/ Smart Connector & dual camera design
- Nikkei reports Apple moving to 3-year major iPhone refresh cycle
- Analyst claims next-gen iPhone 7 to feature 32 GB base storage
- With new tech for both all-metal & all-glass designs, which should Apple use for 2017 iPhone?
- Could Apple really be planning a move to a 3-year cycle on major iPhone refreshes?
- Comment: iOS status bar on iPhone & iPad needs some rethinking
- Opinion: Is the iOS vs Android battle headed down the same path as Mac vs PC?
- Supply chain research supports reports of iPhone 7 w/ 32GB, 128GB & 256GB
- Chinese accessory maker shows prototype 3.5mm-to-Lightning dongles for iPhone 7
WWDC 2016 |
With Apple’s annual Worldwide Developers Conference scheduled for later this month, discussion about what we might see at the event kicked into full gear this week. We reported that the event will be very light on hardware announcements and Apple unfortunately won’t be unveiling a new external display to replace the aging Thunderbolt display at the event. Sources say the keynote this year will focus on notable new software features, and it’s looking like a new Siri SDK and Siri for Mac will be a highlight there. There is also a possibility we’ll get to see the person to person Apple Pay transfers the company has been experimenting with. And we rounded up some of the expected features for
OS X macOS 10.12.
- Apple not unveiling external display at WWDC, announcements will focus on software
- WWDC 2016 Preview: No new hardware but plenty of Siri, iMessage may get Apple Pay
- Apple updates WWDC app w/ dark theme, first Apple TV version
- OS X 10.12 & Mac: What will Apple show off for Mac at WWDC 2016?
- Apple sends out press invites for WWDC 2016, confirms 10AM PT keynote on June 13
- Apple releases Swift 3.0 Preview 1 ahead of WWDC 2016
We reported this week that Apple is developing a new external 5K display that could feature an integrated GPU to help some of its Macs drive it. It won’t be coming at WWDC as noted above, but the details we shared offer a lot of hope that it could be coming soon. And another popular Mac story came this week when spy photos allegedly showing the rumored new MacBook Pro with OLED touch bar and four USB-C ports surfaced.
- Apple readying new external 5K Display, may feature integrated GPU
- Leaked images claim to show MacBook Pro w/ OLED touch bar, four USB-C ports
We finish off this week with Apple’s 2016 Back to School promo (free Beats headphones!), new Apple Watch bands from designer brand Coach, and this week’s top app news and videos.
- Apple’s Back to School: free Beats headphones w/ Mac, iPhone or iPad Pro purchase
- Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos explains why the company no longer sells Apple TV
- Apple removes same-sex couple from Mother’s Day iPhone ad in France, other countries
- Apple staff voting on new community themes, including making Apple products affordable
- Former Apple ad guru Ken Segall says company is losing touch with its heritage of simplicity
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk says Apple may have left it too late on its car project
Apple Watch |
- Coach Apple Watch bands get official as they appear on retailer’s site ahead of WWDC
- Apple Watch Diary: Native apps or not, my usage pattern remains the same
- Comment: One year later, Apple Watch has kickstarted a lifestyle change
- Report: Developers losing interest in Apple Watch until apps can run independently
- App Store, Apple Music, iTunes and other iCloud services down for some [U: Back up]
- Widespread iCloud Music Library issue affecting Apple Music subscribers
- Unicode Consortium officially approves 72 new emoji, including bacon, selfie, and a clown face
- VocalIQ acquisition hints at how Apple plans to win the intelligent assistant war
This week’s top videos |
- Apple Campus 2 drone flyover update shows progress on Theatre, solar panels, & more [Video]
- iOS hacker shows off iOS 9.3.2 JailbreakMe-inspired jailbreak, but a release is unlikely
- Purchasing your own cable modem may save money and allow for faster data speeds