THX tune-up is a free iOS app for home theater fans
Here’s something nice from those folks at THX. It’s a free app (through February 4, then it’s US $1.99) that allows you to assess the state of your home theater and make adjustments to improve audio and visual performance.
THX tune-up connects to your TV with the Apple Digital AV Adapter and an HDMI cable. You’ll want the Lightning cable version if you have a newer device. It can also connect to your Apple TV with a wireless connection.
You can check your screen’s aspect ratio, brightness, contrast color and tint. The app also uses your iOS camera to set color and tint with special built-in filters.
Audio tests include sample sounds to see if your speakers are hooked up in the proper surround locations and if they are in phase. Once you are finished the set up process, the app can play some really high quality trailers, and the famous THX Deep Note in 5.1 surround.
I tried the THX tune-Up app and it worked as advertised. The set-ups are pretty basic, but it is surprising how many home theaters are pretty out of tune. The app is not a substitute for a professional visit, but most home theaters will be improved.
The app is universal and runs on the iPhone 4 or above, the iPod touch (5th generation), and the iPad 2 or above. The app is optimized for the iPhone 5 and requires iOS 5.
This is a pretty slick app if you’re into home theater and movies, so grab it while it’s free and enjoy.
Gallery: THX Tune-Up
THX tune-up is a free iOS app for home theater fans originally appeared on TUAW – The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 09:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
You may also like to check out:
- Download iOS 7.0.3
- How To Downgrade iOS 7 To iOS 6.1.3 / 6.1.4
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.3 On iPhone 4, iPod touch 4 and iPhone 3GS Using Redsn0w
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 4,3GS, iPod touch 4 Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.11
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 5,4S, iPad, iPod touch Using Evasi0n 1.5
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6 With Official Cydia On iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS And iPod touch 4G Using Redsn0w 0.9.15b1
- How To Downgrade iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 4G From iOS 6 To 5.1.1 Using Redsn0w