Below are a few of the most effective free apps, app updates and new applications that have actually landed in the App Store recently.
All application costs are USD and subject to transform. Some bargains could end promptly, so grab them while you can.
Apps Now Free
Worm Run [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $0.99] You are Zeke Tallahassee, hapless space janitor in the wrong place at the wrong time. Swipe on your touchscreen to move Zeke through an ever-changing labyrinth all while being pursued by a blood-thirsty, gigantic space Worm.
Spendee – see where your money goes [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $1.99] Spendee is an awesome new app for managing your personal finances on the go. It gives you the power of unique data analysis in an adaptable environment that automatically and thoroughly analyzes your income and expenses.
Pocket Scanner HD – Scan Images to Encrypted Multi-Page PDFs [iPad; Now free, down from $3.99] Your iPad = a portable scanner, it’s easy as 1-2-3!
Pocket Scanner – Scan Images to Encrypted Multi-Page PDFs [iPhone; Now free, down from $2.99] Your iPhone = a portable scanner, it’s easy as 1-2-3!
StillShot [iPhone; Now free, down from $0.99] StillShot can help you create high quality photos from any video on your iPhone.
Uface – Unique Face Maker [iPhone; Now free, down from $0.99] You can create face sketch like a professional illustrator’s work by simple controls!
Photo Transfer Pro – Upload and download photos and videos wireless via WiFi [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $0.99] Photo Transfer allows you to quickly transfer photos and videos between your iPhone, iPad, PC or Mac using your local Wi-Fi network, without any 3rd party transfer utilities.
Toca Mini [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $2.99] Cute, weird or funny? That’s up to you in the colorful world of Toca Mini. Let your imagination run wild in this creative app for kids!
Dwarf Tower [OS X; Now free, down from $1.99] Dwarf Tower is a turn-based tactics game of tower building and spellcasting.
New and Notable Apps
MagicalPad [OS X; $39.99] Welcome to the most versatile note taking productivity app – Visually manage your notes, ideas, mind maps, outlines, checklist and tasks for school, personal and business needs.
Battleheart Legacy [iOS Universal; $4.99] The spirit of Battleheart returns, re-imagined in Battleheart Legacy.
EverClip 2 – Clip everything to Evernote [iOS Universal; $3.99] We take the award winning EverClip app and redesign it from the group up to make it fast, natural and beautiful. Of course, we also added couple features you’d absolutely love.
Updates you don’t want to miss
Dispatch: Email meets GTD with TextExpander snippets [iOS Universal; $4.99] Dispatch makes it easy to act on emails even when you’re on the move. Version 2.0 brings the following changes:
- Mailbox/folder access (yup, about time)
- New icon, refreshed look
- Sort with oldest emails first (thank Mike Vardy)
- New Unsubscribe triaging action (goodbye mailing list and newsletters)
- Triage dates, phone numbers and links in subject
- Phishing detection and warning
- Delete email addresses from auto-complete recipient list
- New Actioned flag indicating emails that have been triaged, in addition to Replied and Forwarded flags
- x-callback-url support for /compose URL scheme
- Local drafts for all accounts can now be accessed from within Unified Inbox
- Add (Link) to Reading List triaging action
- Insert Photo action when composing mail (just because the popup menu can be a pain)
Watchup [iOS Universal; Free] Watchup is the smartest way to watch video news because it builds your personalized newscast from a growing number of local, national and international news channels. Version 3.1 brings the following changes:
- Instantly play your daily newscast
- Read print articles related to the video you’re watching
- Lean back and relax as your videos play continuously
- Register on both iPhone and iPad to enjoy your newscast anytime!
PCalc [iOS Universal; $9.99] PCalc is the powerful choice for scientists, engineers, students, programmers, or indeed anybody looking for a feature rich calculator. Version 3.2 brings the following changes:
- Updated the core calculator code to match PCalc 4 on OS X.
- Smart searching for conversions, constants, and functions – try “£ to $” in the search field, for example.
- User functions and conversions can now access the RPN stack, use bitwise operators, and get and set values on the clipboard.
- Now show a double zero key instead of an “Exp” key when in accounting mode.
- You can now choose to automatically display big or small numbers in engineering mode, rather than scientific.
- You can now add notes to the tape.
- You can now specify which themes are used for the automatic night mode.
- Added an option to switch to night mode based on the current screen brightness.
- Added a new dark theme “Backlight”.
- Added a “Last” key in algebraic mode which retrieves the result from the last time you pressed equals.
- Added an option to display the ticker tape at the top of the display.
- Added trend arrows to the currency rates.
- Added support for hex, octal, and binary user functions and constants.
- Added “Rol n” and “Ror n” buttons for rotating by an arbitrary number of bits.
- Fixed a problem entering negative fractions.
- Fixed a problem pasting in some hex, octal, and binary values.
- Fixed a problem drawing the register labels on the display.
- Fixed a problem with the screen being offset after sending emails when PCalc was horizontal