Below are a few of the most effective free applications, app updates and new apps that have landed in the App Store recently.
All app rates are USD and subject to transform. Some deals might expire swiftly, so nab them while you can.
Apps Now Free
Fodor’s City Guides [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $4.99] 22 Travel Guides for your iPhone and iPad, with discounted tickets for tours and attractions.
Guitar Kit+ for Chord Search, Save and Training [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $1.99]The Best UI in Guitar Chord App.
Math 42 [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $0.99] MATH 42 helps students from the 5th to the 12th grade with math – starting with homework to the preparation for tests.
Mini Wars [OS X; Now free, down from $0.99] Mini wars is a side-scroller war game where you controls a soldier in battles full of action.
Never Sleep [OS X; Now free, down from $0.99] NeverSleep is a fancy app that puts an icon in the right side of your menu bar.
Treble Cat – Learn To Read Music [OS X; Now free, down from $4.99] Treble Cat is a highly entertaining game designed to help kids and adults learn how to quickly identify notes in the treble clef.
New and Notable Apps
Publisher Plus [OS X; $19.99] Publisher Plus is a powerful desktop publishing and page layout app for both business and home use.
Elephant Drop [iOS Universal; Free] Press and hold on either side of the screen to avoid thunderclouds and hit other objects to slow down.
RecordRun [iOS Universal; Free] Record Run puts you in the middle of your music, chasing records and dodging obstacles to the beat in a crazy musical world.
Updates you don’t want to miss
Facebook Messenger [iPhone; Free] Messenger is a fast, free and reliable way to stay in touch.Version 5.1 brings the following changes:
- More ways to message: Everything’s front and center, so it’s easier to send photos, voice messages and more.
- Video: Send videos from your phone’s camera roll and when people send you videos, play them right in the app.
- Instant photo sharing: Take a photo and send it in just one tap, without leaving the conversation.
- Shortcuts to stickers: When someone sends you a sticker, press and hold down on it to get the pack.
- Improved search: Enter the names of people and groups to find them quickly.
- Other fixes, including to stickers and groups.
DragonVale [iOS Universal; Free] Play DragonVale and raise, feed and breed your own lovable dragons.Version 2.3.0 brings the following changes:
- All new feature, the Dragonarium!
- Keep track of your entire collection of dragons.
- Locate specific dragons in your park
- Rotate through the animations of dragons you’ve collected.
- Easily see if a dragon is available.
- New visual distinction of dragon rarity.
Sunlit [iPhone; Free] In Sunlit you create stories that combine photos, location check-ins, and text. For trips, events, or any memories. Version 1.2 brings the following changes:
- Sign in with Flickr. You can add your App.net account later for syncing and collaboration, but now you can use Sunlit with just a Flickr account and still get full story creation and publishing to the web.
- Performance improvements and bug fixes.
CARROT Fit – 7 Minutes in Hell Workout & Weight Tracker [iPhone; $2.99] Make getting fit suck so much less with CARROT’s hilarious 7 Minutes in Hell workout. Version 2.0 brings the following changes:
- 7 Minutes in Hell Workout: My diabolical interval workout is finally here!
- New difficulty levels, a workout calendar, and more can be yours if you just stick with my relentless fitness regimen.
- Contribute to my No Penguin Without a Cute Penguin Sweater Initiative by purchasing items from my store!
- Leveling up sucked before, so I made it a whole lot easier.
- Your all-new profile will help you track your fitness progress (or lack thereof) over time.
- Not only can you now set up separate workout and weigh-in reminders, you can also customize the reminder intervals.
- Management of the profile, store, and settings screens has been a drain on my resources, so I outsourced them to cheap robot labor.
- By request of the Queen’s royal corgis, weight data is now properly split between stones and pounds for U.K. users.