Unauthorized unlocking of new phones to be illegal in U.S.
Have you been thinking about unlocking your iPhone? Unlocking is the process that allows your iPhone to work on multiple networks that use the same wireless standard, so it’s perfect for international travelers who buy SIM cards from local carriers instead of being tied to international roaming charges. Other folks love the ability to switch carriers on a whim. Well, effective January 25, 2013 — tomorrow — unauthorized unlocking of new phones becomes illegal in the US.
If you want an unlocked iPhone, there are several legal workarounds. For example, if you buy an iPhone 5 from Verizon, it’s unlocked out of the box. AT&T unlocks phones for customers once they’re out of contract (usually after two years). Most carriers will sell you an unlocked iPhone at full price, as will Apple.
Anyone buying a new iPhone today who wants to personally unlock the phone before tomorrow needs to ask their carrier if they’ll unlock the phone for you. Once they reject you, you’re free to unlock the phone yourself using one of many online unlock services. However, starting tomorrow you’ll be breaking the law if you do so.
What law, you may ask? The Digital Millennium Copyright Act is a federal anti-hacking law. In October of 2012, the Librarian of Congress decided that personally unlocking phones would no longer be allowed. A 90-day grace period during which consumers could buy phones and legally unlock them started at that time, and that grace period runs out tomorrow.
Unauthorized unlocking of new phones to be illegal in U.S. originally appeared on TUAW – The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 13:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
You may also like to check out:
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.3 On iPhone 4, iPod touch 4 and iPhone 3GS Using Redsn0w
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 4,3GS, iPod touch 4 Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.11
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 5,4S, iPad, iPod touch Using Evasi0n 1.5
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6 With Official Cydia On iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS And iPod touch 4G Using Redsn0w 0.9.15b1
- How To Downgrade iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 4G From iOS 6 To 5.1.1 Using Redsn0w