You’re the Pundit: iPad mini may be the death knell for iPad 2
When it comes to evaluating the next big thing, we turn to our secret weapon: the TUAW braintrust. We put the question to you and let you have your go at it. Today’s topic is the iPad 2.
First introduced in March 2011, it’s been a brilliant standard-bearer for Apple’s tablet tech. Offering a total redesign from the original iPad, it lacks only a few bells, whistles, and pixels compared to the current “new” iPad.
In fact, it’s still Apple’s budget choice for many consumers with limited discretionary funds. Starting at $399, it offers a hundred dollar break compared to the low-end current generation model.
With the iPad mini likely around the corner, does its introduction mean the iPad 2 will give way? Will the iPad mini kill the iPad 2 — and should it?
Apple has never been afraid to cannibalize its own product line. In this case, there’s the iPad 2 on one side, and the newly refreshed iPod touch on the other, both competing in the same price arena. Although the iPad 2 is aging gracefully, it’s been on the market for 19 months. That puts it in the “matronly” category in the market of new hot mobile devices.
At the same time, the Christmas buying season is upon us. Would Apple stop making and selling the iPad 2 at a time where a big pool of potential buyers likes the idea of purchase choice?
You tell us. Place your vote in this poll and then join in the comments with all your analysis.
You’re the Pundit: iPad mini may be the death knell for iPad 2 originally appeared on TUAW – The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Sat, 20 Oct 2012 16:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
You may also like to check out:
- How To Downgrade iOS 7 Beta To iOS 6.1.3 / 6.1.4
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.3 On iPhone 4, iPod touch 4 and iPhone 3GS Using Redsn0w
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 4,3GS, iPod touch 4 Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.11
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6.1.2 Untethered On iPhone 5,4S, iPad, iPod touch Using Evasi0n 1.5
- How To Jailbreak iOS 6 With Official Cydia On iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS And iPod touch 4G Using Redsn0w 0.9.15b1
- How To Downgrade iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 4G From iOS 6 To 5.1.1 Using Redsn0w