As we noted yesterday, Apple is bringing some sharp improvements to its iOS autofill feature. One that got stage time yesterday was one-time SMS passcodes being available for autofill. Now, we’re learning more details about other improvements to iOS autofill along with an open API to allow third-parties like 1Password to create an even more seamless password management experience and more.
As for the new features and functionality of autofill in iOS 12, here’s what’s coming:
- Creates, stores and auto-fills passwords
- Works automatically in iOS apps & Safari
- Syncs to all devices including Apple TV
- Ask Siri for passwords
- Password reuse audit (if using same password for two logins, this feature automatically prompts you to make a change)
- Security code autofill
- Extension point for third-party password managers
- Some devs may not need to make changes
Features like Siri integration and autofill data syncing to Apple TV look to be really useful features.
Apple has posted pages for the WWDC sessions that cover these topics in detail like Automatic Strong Passwords and Security Code AutoFill and Implementing AutoFill Credential Provider Extensions. Videos of the sessions will be posted at the links above soon.
Popular password manager app, 1Password, shared its excitement of the new API in a tweet today. With the #1PasswordAutofill in the tweet there, it sounds like we can expect even greater iOS integration with the app this fall.