Apple’s new M1-powered Macs run on a version of ARM processors that are designed by Apple, but that means that there’s no Boot Camp and no Windows. At least, not officially.
One developer has been able to get Windows running on their M1 Mac, and he reckons it runs surprisingly well.
According to a report on The 8-Bit, developer Alexander Graf has been able to make Windows for ARM run on Apple silicon, although there’s no sign of any x86 version running just yet.
He was able to achieve this by running the Windows ARM64 Insider Preview by virtualizing it through the Hypervisor.framework. This framework allows users to interact with virtualization technologies in user space without having to write kernel extensions (KEXTs), according to Apple.
Interestingly, Graf says that the whole thing is “snappy” which is promising for those who still need to be able to run Windows in some way, even when they’re using one of Apple’s hot new Macs.
Who said Windows wouldn’t run well on #AppleSilicon? It’s pretty snappy here 😁. #QEMU patches for reference: https://t.co/qLQpZgBIqI pic.twitter.com/G1Usx4TcvL
— Alexander Graf (@_AlexGraf) November 26, 2020
The M1 Macs have been extremely well received thanks to their power efficiency, performance, and ability to run cool. Whether any of that will be undone by slapping Windows code onto them remains to be seen, but it’s great to see progress already. It’s likely it’ll be a while before others are following in Graf’s footsteps, however.
You may also like to check out:
- Download iOS 14.2 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.2
- Download iOS 14.2.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File For iPhone 12, mini, Pro, Pro Max
- Download: iOS 14.3 Beta 2 IPSW Links, OTA Update Released
- How To Fix Bad iOS 14 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Convert Factory Wired Apple CarPlay To Wireless Apple CarPlay In Your Car Easily, Here’s How
- iPhone 12 / Pro Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Best iPhone 12, 12 Pro Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- Best iPhone 12 Mini Screen Protector: Here’s A List Worth Checking
- Best iPhone 12 Pro Max Screen Protector: Here Is A List Worth Checking
- Jailbreak iOS 14.2 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Guide]
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.2 The Right Way [Tutorial]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak