When Apple announced Siri Shortcuts as part of iOS 12, we all hoped that it would turn into something big. The feature has perhaps not quite lived up to expectations, but it’s getting there. Apple has today announced that a slew of new app updates have added support for Siri Shortcuts, and there are some pretty big names. Yet more will apparently arrive over the coming months.
As of this week, Apple says that apps from American Airlines, Caviar, Dexcom, Merriam Webster Dictionary, and Spectre have all been updated with additional Siri Shortcuts support. In the coming weeks, we can also apparently expect updates from Airbnb, Drop for Bosch, Smarter, and ReSound.
According to Apple, the additional Siri Shortcuts support means a few things, depending on the app.
- American Airlines: Get updates on all your flight details (“Hey Siri, flight update”). This includes flight status, drive time, a map of the airport with gate location, walking time to gate, boarding time, and more.
- Caviar: Set up a shortcut to re-order food and check order status. (“Hey Siri, order my usual pizza” or “Hey Siri, Caviar order status”).
- Dexcom: Lets diabetics better track and manage glucose levels through their app (“Hey Siri, what’s my blood glucose?”).
- Merriam Webster Dictionary: Ask for the word of the day (“Hey Siri, what’s the word of the day?”)
- Spectre: You can use shortcuts to take long exposure photos hands-free (“Hey Siri, long exposure”) so the phone doesn’t move while shooting.
We also know what to expect when the Airbnb, Drop for Bosch, Smarter, and ReSound updates land in either March or April.
- Airbnb: Get details on your stay, including check in and check out times, address and map, and Wi-Fi password (“Hey Siri, my Airbnb stay”).
- Drop for Bosch: Make your morning coffee before you get out of bed (“Hey Siri, make an espresso”).
- ReSound: Change the setting of your hearing aid based on surroundings (“Hey Siri, restaurant mode”).
- Smarter: Make a pot of coffee using the Smarter Coffee Machine (“Hey Siri, make a small pot of coffee”).
Siri Shortcuts allow users to tie automation to voice commands in order to carry out often complex tasks without even having to open the app in question. It’s pretty great when used properly, and we look forward to seeing more apps gain proper support.
You may also like to check out:
- Downgrade iOS 12.1.4 To iOS 12.1.1 Beta 3 For Jailbreak [Guide]
- Jailbreak iOS 12 / 12.1.2 / 12.1.2 Beta 3 With Unc0ver And Install Cydia, Here’s How [Tutorial]
- Jailbreak iOS 12.1.4 Using Luca’s WebKit Exploit May Soon Be Possible
- Download iOS 12.1.4 IPSW Links, OTA Update With Critical FaceTime Bug Patch
- Download iOS 12.2 Beta 3 IPSW Links, OTA Update For Your iPad Or iPhone
- Best Galaxy S10 / S10+ / S10e Case List: Here Are The Must-Haves For Protection
- Galaxy S10 / S10+ / S10e Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones