Since Apple released its AirTag tracker a few weeks ago we’ve been hearing people’s concerns about the potential for the item to be used to stalk people. This is, of course, something all item trackers can be used for but Apple is always going to receive more attention.
That attention, it seems, has caused Apple to make some changes as first reported by CNET.
The first change is a new firmware update that will be applied to AirTag automatically when they are within range of an iPhone. The change means an AirTag will make a sound between eight hours and 24 hours after it was lost. At launch, that time was three days.
Another move has Apple working on an Android app that can be installed, giving users the chance to be alerted if an AirTag is traveling with them. That should help prevent people from planting AirTag so as to track someone without their knowledge.
To further reassure people about its AirTags, Apple said it’s developing an app for Android devices that will help people “detect” an AirTag or Find My network-enabled device that may also be unsuspectedly “traveling” with them. The app will be released later this year.
“The recent introduction of AirTag included industry first proactive features that discourage unwanted tracking,” Apple said in a statement. The moves, it added, represent a continued commitment to improve AirTag’s privacy and security.
It doesn’t sound like the Android app will allow people to set new AirTag up, or find their location, however.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 14.6 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.6 Released
- Jailbreak iOS 14.6 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Tutorial]
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.6 And iPadOS 14.6 [Guide]
- How To Fix Bad iOS 14 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Convert Factory Wired Apple CarPlay To Wireless Apple CarPlay In Your Car Easily, Here’s How
- iPhone 12 / Pro Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Best iPhone 12, 12 Pro Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- Best iPhone 12 Mini Screen Protector: Here’s A List Worth Checkin
- Best iPhone 12 Pro Max Screen Protector: Here Is A List Worth Checking
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak