The US Patent & Trademark Office has published a new Apple patent application that covers a foldable display. Rumors have circulated in the past that Apple is working with LG in order to bring an iPhone to market that has some foldable aspect to it. The patent itself describes a display that would allow users to open and close it, as they would a book.
An electronic device may have a flexible portion that allows the device to be folded. The device may have a flexible display. The flexible display may have a bending region that allows the display to bend along a bend axis when the device is folded.
Rumors of a foldable iPhone are nothing new, and while this patent application far from confirms that one is on its way, it does show that Apple has at least considered it. A report last month suggested that Apple plans to invest in an LG plant designed for the production of foldable displays, with OLED mentioned as the screen technology of choice. The new patent hedges its bets though, covering LCD, OLED, and microLED.
Display may include an array of display pixels formed from liquid crystal display (LCD) components, an array of electrophoretic display pixels, an array of organic light-emitting diode display pixels, an array of pixels formed from crystalline semiconductor light-emitting diode dies (sometimes referred to as micro-LEDs), an array of electrowetting display pixels, or display pixels based on other display technologies. Examples in which display has been formed from organic light-emitting diode pixels or micro-LED pixels may sometimes be described herein as an example).
While reports have suggested that a foldable iPhone could reach us around the 2021 mark, that is nothing short of guesswork at this time. If such a time scale is anywhere near accurate however, it is possible Apple’s pursuit of microLED technology could have a part to play in such a foldable display.
You may also like to check out:
- Pokemon Go 1.53.2 IPA And 0.83.1 APK Hack Available To Download Now
- iPhone 8 Microphone Not Working Or Poor Mic Volume Issues Being Reported With No Fix In Sight
- Download GBA4iOS 2.1 iOS 11 IPA On iPhone Or iPad [No Jailbreak Required]
- vShare iOS 11 Download For IPA Files [No Jailbreak Required]
- Windows 10 Product Key And Activation: How To Find It And How It Works
- Download iOS 11.1.2 IPSW Links And OTA Update For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
- Downgrade iOS 11 / 11.1.2 On iPhone Or iPad [How-To Guide]
- Jailbreak iOS 11 / 11.1.2 / 11.1.1 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]