Yesterday saw Apple announce the new iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro alongside a new wireless charging solution – MagSafe.
The magnet wireless charger is a pretty big deal for Apple, with third-party accessory makers also allowed to make use of it. But it also has a secret weapon – it’ll charge Apple’s latest iPhones twice as quickly as other wireless chargers.
The information is available on the iPhone 12 specification page and it clearly notes that MagSafe wireless charging will top out at 15W. Normally, iPhones can only charge at 7.5W when used with wireless chargers and that’s set to remain the case. Anyone wanting to charge wirelessly, and quickly, will need some sort of MagSafe accessory to do it.
- MagSafe wireless charging up to 15W
- Qi wireless charging up to 7.5W
- Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
While 15W is quicker than before – twice as quick, obviously – it’s still some way behind the super fast speeds that Android devices are capable of. Huawei and Samsung already offer faster chargers, although without the fancy magnetic trickery that MagSafe affords.
There’s also a MagSafe Duo Charger that charges the Apple Watch in addition to the iPhone 12. This snappy charger, along with the Leather Wallet with MagSafe accessory will be available at a later date.
We also have a bunch of cases, leather and silicon, designed to work with the new charging solution. Importantly, Apple says that there will be a ton of new accessories not just from Cupertino, but also from third-party manufacturers like Belkin. In fact, Belkin already has an in-car charger and mount in the works.
Here’s what the Apple Store pages for the Apple cases have to say.
With built-in magnets that align perfectly with iPhone 12 | 12 Pro, the case offers a magical attach and detach experience, every time. The perfectly aligned magnets make wireless charging faster and easier than ever before. And when it’s time to charge, just leave the case on your iPhone and snap on your MagSafe charger, or set it on your Qi-certified charger.
The new iPhones will go up for pre-order this coming Friday, so long as you want the iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro. Those looking to pre-order the new iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max will have to wait until the first week of November, unfortunately.
Oh and on a parting note, it would appear that the Lightning cable being bundled in the box, is not a braided one. Ouch.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 14.2 Beta 1 IPSW Links, OTA Profile File And iPadOS 14.2 Beta 1 Released
- How To Fix Bad iOS 14 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Convert Factory Wired Apple CarPlay To Wireless Apple CarPlay In Your Car Easily, Here’s How
- iPhone 12 / Pro Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Best iPhone 12, 12 Pro Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- iOS / iPadOS 14 Final Compatibility For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Devices
- Jailbreak iOS 14.1 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Tutorial]
- Download iOS 14.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.1
- Fix iOS 14 Update Requested Stuck Issue On iPhone And iPad, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 14 Estimating Time Remaining Stuck Issue, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 14 OTA Stuck On Preparing Update Issue, Here’s How
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.1 [Tutorial]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak