After skipping the initial release of iOS 14, Apple has just released HomePod Software 14.1 to the public with new features and improvements, including enhancements to Siri, Intercom, HomePod mini support, and more.
iOS 14 brings Maps suggestions when the user asks HomePod about a specific location using Siri, and you can now easily open search results from HomePod on iPhone with Handoff. Apple has also enhanced the timer and alarm feature on the HomePod, which now offers options to let you change these settings for all your HomePods using Siri, in addition to letting users set a song from Apple Music as the alarm.
Intercom, which was announced during Apple’s October event, is now available for all HomePod models with HomePod Software 14.1. Users can now send real-time audio messages from one HomePod to another within the same home and also to iOS devices through iCloud Family Sharing.
Also, with iOS 14 and HomePod Software 14.1, Apple is letting users change their default music, podcasts, and audiobooks apps — but this requires developers to update their apps with the new APIs.
HomePod Software 14.1 is now available for all HomePod users through the Home app.
Software version 14.1 includes support for HomePod mini and new Siri and Intercom features. This update also includes bug fixes and improvements.
- Setup and automatically transfer your Apple ID, Apple Music, Siri and Wi-Fi settings to HomePod mini
- Siri suggestions appear in Maps when you ask HomePod for information about a location
- Web search requests to HomePod can be sent from HomePod to your iPhone
- Siri can now stop alarms, timers, and media across HomePod speakers
- Voice recognition support for Podcasts for multiple users in the home
- Ask HomePod to make announcements to other HomePod speakers throughout your home
- Intercom to all HomePod speakers
- Intercom to a HomePod in a specific room or zone
Other improvements and fixes
- Add music to your alarms and wake up to your personal song, playlist, or radio station from Apple Music
- Fixes an issue where stereo pairs can sometimes play out of sync
- Improves reliability when using Siri to control multiple speakers
- Optimizes Siri performance