Apple is releasing iOS 12.2 beta 5 for iPhone and iPad today. The latest beta update should be released over-the-air at the top of the hour. Apple will also likely release the fifth beta versions of watchOS 5.2, tvOS 12.2, and macOS 10.14.4 today as well. We’ll update our coverage if any notable changes are discovered in the latest software updates.
iOS 12.2 and the related software updates largely focus on supporting smart TVs that work with Apple’s Home app. Other changes include new Animoji characters includuing the new shark, owl, giraffe, and warthog options — plus a few more changes.
iOS 12.2 beta 2 also includes changes to the AirPlay icon in Control Center plus AT&T ‘5G E’ in certain markets on certain iPhones and iPads. iOS 12.2 also introduces a variety of other changes and features as seen in the previous beta version:
- New Screen Mirroring icon in Control Center
- New full screen Apple TV Remote Control Center interface
- New “Speakers & TVS” in Home app settings
- More detailed Apple Wallet UI for Recent Transactions
- Updated details button in Wallet card UI
- Tap a transaction for more detail
- Card details feature bubbly inset rectangles rows
- Motion & Orientation Data is new Safari toggle in iOS Settings
- Air Quality Index reading in Maps
- Safari warns about websites not supporting HTTPS
- Fill in a search suggestion without submitting the search
- Apple News in Canada
- Keyboard color picker
- Inline Safari music playback
- Album name full song search results in Music app
- Battery charged bug on lock screen still present (for this build)
- Group FaceTime re-enabled
- Remote tile redesigned for HomeKit TVs and Apple TVs
- About screen in Settings now lists hardware model name
- Apple News header text changed from ‘APPLE NEWS’ to ‘News’
- More detail in redesigned Wallet information screens
- New Apple News app icons (white backgrounds) on macOS and iOS, Stocks app corrected (follow 9to5Mac on Apple News here)
- Remote tile in Control Center now has a remote icon and not ‘tv’ to match expanded features
- Updated ‘Now Playing’ tile for video with new remote icon, volume controls
9to5Mac has also uncovered evidence of new AirPods that work with Hey Siri, Apple News Magazines, and more. We’ll update this post as software updates are released and new features are discovered.
Check out our hands-on video with the first, third, and fourth iOS 12.2 developer betas below:
We’ll update our coverage with any changes discovered in the latest beta version as soon as the release is out. iOS 12.2 will likely be released near the end of the month around Apple’s rumored March 25th event. Apple released the last developer and public beta versions of iOS 12.2 one week ago.