Reverse wireless charging is a feature that many thought might be part of the iPhone 12 lineup this year, but that doesn’t appear to have been the case. We say appear, because while Apple didn’t announce anything it seems that the hardware might actually be there, built in.
According to FCC filings for the new iPhones it seems that the hardware is in fact present, allowing an iPhone to charge an accessory such as AirPods via reverse charging.
The news was spotted by Jeremy Horwitz and it suggest that there could be some sort of reverse charging component in the future. Whether Apple could enable it via software isn’t clear, however.
A new MagSafe feature was hidden in Apple FCC filings: “In addition to being able to be charged by a desktop WPT charger (puck), 2020 iPhone models also support WPT charging function at 360 kHz to charge accessories [including] an external potential apple accessory in future.”
Bloomberg’ Mark Gurman also notes that there is another line in the document that could suggest MagSafe is coming to AirPods, too.
If this FCC filing is any indication, the iPhone 12 may have a hidden reverse charging feature. Perhaps MagSafe on the new AirPods? https://t.co/QhFQtOgoRB https://t.co/OAKzzb5U3B pic.twitter.com/pqAVcjLCyN
— Mark Gurman (@markgurman) October 28, 2020
Apple is obviously going to be making more use of MagSafe than putting a card holder on the back of an iPhone, so the technology coming to AirPods makes plenty of sense. We’ve already seen patents relating to cases that could hold AirPods, too.
There are no timelines for any of this and we might all be reading far too much into this. But let’s hope not!
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 14.2 Beta 1 IPSW Links, OTA Profile File And iPadOS 14.2 Beta 1 Released
- How To Fix Bad iOS 14 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Convert Factory Wired Apple CarPlay To Wireless Apple CarPlay In Your Car Easily, Here’s How
- iPhone 12 / Pro Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Best iPhone 12, 12 Pro Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- iOS / iPadOS 14 Final Compatibility For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Devices
- Jailbreak iOS 14.1 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Tutorial]
- Download iOS 14.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.1
- Fix iOS 14 Update Requested Stuck Issue On iPhone And iPad, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 14 Estimating Time Remaining Stuck Issue, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 14 OTA Stuck On Preparing Update Issue, Here’s How
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.1 [Tutorial]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak