Apple has already confirmed that the ability to use third-party maps apps like Waze and Google Maps in CarPlay is coming to iOS 12 later this year, but if you’re jailbroken and want to get in on the action right now, you might want to check out a jailbreak tweak called CarBridge, because it’s pretty awesome.
Available now via Chariz.io on Cydia or directly from carbridgetweak.com and costing $4.99, CarBridge allows the running of all manner of things via CarPlay, regardless of any limitations that Apple has tried to put in place before now.
What this means is that not only can you use Google Maps or Waze, but you can also play Fortnite or watch Netflix/YouTube, or indeed run just about any app on your iPhone, right in the dash of your car.
While we’re never going to condone playing Fortnite in a car, or watch Netflix/YouTube, but being able to run something like Waze or Google Maps right now and without having to wait for iOS 12 to ship later this year is always going to get our attention.
In addition to third-party apps, the tweak features the Portal app, which let’s you control your connected iOS device’s interface using your head unit.
Right now, the CarBridge tweak is compatible with any jailbroken version of iOS from 10.0 to 11.4, which should cover most bases.
So, if you recently jailbroke your iPhone using Electra (you can still do it on iOS 11.4 beta 3 as Apple is still signing that firmware on iPhone X and iPhone 8/8 Plus), then you should totally check out CarBridge as this tweak has been in development for over a year now and really delivers on what it says.
Apple’s CarPlay continues to gain traction and while this is unlikely to really move the needle on CarPlay adoption, both jailbreakers and Apple now realize that the key to its success is being able to use more third-party apps while behind the wheel. This new tweak is a prime example of that and we look forward to seeing what Apple offers for CarPlay users moving forward.
You may also like to check out:
- Jailbreak iOS 11.4 Beta 3 On iPhone X, 8, 7 Using Electra, Here’s How [Guide]
- Downgrade To iOS 11.4 Beta 3, 2, 1 IPSW Download And Jailbreak Using Electra Now Possible
- Jailbreak iOS 11.4.1 On iPhone X By Downgrading To iOS 11.4 Beta 3, Here’s How
- Downgrade iOS 11.4.1 To Older Firmware Version On iPhone Or iPad [How-To Tutorial]
- Download iOS 11.4.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update For iPhone And iPad
- Download iOS 12 Beta 3 Configuration Profile File Without Developer Account
- Download iOS 12 Beta 3 IPSW Links & Install On iPhone X, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, 6, SE, 5s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]