The internet is ablaze with views and reviews about the latest crop of high end foldable phones. The Motorola Razr and Samsung Galaxy Z Flip are the new hotness and we’re starting to hear more and more as people start to spend more time with the phones. And it isn’t all positive.
If there’s one thing we’ve been hearing from almost all reviewers, it’s that you probably shouldn’t be buying either of these phones just yet. Foldable phones are still very much in their infancy. And we’ve heard plenty of issues with the Galaxy Fold that came before them.
When it comes to the latest round of phones, we’re already hearing reports of things going awry. The Galaxy Z Flip supposedly has Ultra Thin Glass, or UTG, covering its display. But we’ve already seen examples of that starting to fail after YouTuber JerryRigEverything put it through its paces. There’s even been an example of one phone’s display breaking in the middle, which isn’t great at all.
The Motorola Razr isn’t much better, either. At least one example has seen its display delaminate. Motorola told CNBC that it doesn’t expect any widespread issues, and anyone who does will be covered by the device’s warranty.
“We have full confidence in razr’s display, and do not expect consumers to experience display peeling as a result of normal use,” a Motorola spokesperson told CNBC. “If consumers experience this issue, and the device has not endured customer abuse or misuse, it will be covered by our warranty.”
But be that as it may, this is all another example of things not quite being right when it comes to foldable phones. There’s little doubt that these kinds of foldable phones will have a part to play in the future of smartphones. But perhaps not this current crop. These phones are already an improvement on the problematic Galaxy Fold. Hopefully, the next crop of foldable phones will be better still.
Received my Samsung Galaxy Z Flip just now. Opened the box. Removed the protective/instruction film. Flipped the phone as you would do since it’s a flip phone and this happened. I heard the crack as well. ? cold weather?#SamsungGalaxy #ZFlip #samsung pic.twitter.com/j8KLL2vm8d
— Amir ? (@mondoir) February 14, 2020
Funny all the blindly optimistic foldable fanatics are suddenly nowhere to be found… (also still waiting to hear from you Motorola)https://t.co/qq781DsvTt
— Ray Wong??? (@raywongy) February 17, 2020
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 13.4 / iPadOS 13.4 Beta 2 IPSW Links, OTA Update Released
- Jailbreak iPhone 11 Pro Max With Unc0ver 4.0.0 On iOS 13.3 Now
- Checkra1n For Windows Alternative: How To Use Ra1nUSB For iOS 13.3 Jailbreak
- Jailbreak iOS 13.3.1 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How [Guide]
- Download: iOS 13.3.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update And iPadOS 13.3.1 Released For Compatible Devices
- Downgrade iOS 13.3.1 To iOS 13.3 For Checkra1n Jailbreak, Here’s How
- Jailbreak iOS 13.3 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How [Guide]
- Download Checkra1n iOS 13.3.1 Jailbreak IPA, Here’s How [0.9.8 beta]
- iOS 13 / 13.2.2 Jailbreak Tweaks Compatibility List For Checkra1n
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak