We heard that Facebook and WhatsApp were planning an iPad version of the popular messaging app more than a year ago, but we’re still waiting for it to arrive. The trail has been rather cold in recent months as well, suggesting the project might have stalled.
Now, according to a new report, the reason for that is simple – there’s currently no support within WhatsApp that would allow two devices to be linked to the same account.
Currently, WhatsApp accounts are linked to phone numbers and can only be used on the device that a given phone number is linked to. That means iPads are out of luck unless they use the somewhat less-than-ideal web interface. According to a new report by WABetaInfo, it’s that lack of multi-account support that’s causing problems.
WhatsApp is working on the possibility to use the same account on different devices. Actually they are testing the feature in order to work with 4 devices at the same time.
When the user wants to use WhatsApp on a second device, there is the need to copy the chat history. In this case WhatsApp always requires a Wi-Fi connection, because it may use a large amount of your data plan
When WhatsApp has safely copied the chat history to the second device, it will be finally possible to use your account from it. Note that any message will be delivered to all your family devices, so your chat history will be always synced across platforms.
WhatsApp has also developed an iPad app, that will be released after the activation of the feature, so you will be able to use WhatsApp on your iPhone and your iPad at the same time.
Yes, it’s the ability to use your WhatsApp account from 4 devices at the same time.
Under development, but it’s great!
— WABetaInfo (@WABetaInfo) June 12, 2020
When someone adds a new device in his WhatsApp account, you will be notified because encryption keys change.
Available in future for iOS and Android! pic.twitter.com/WqrM6cRHWW
— WABetaInfo (@WABetaInfo) March 24, 2020
The problem of keeping chat histories synced across multiple devices is one that Apple continues to struggle with. Plenty of people still find that messages are missing when they switch iMessage use from iPhone to iPad to Mac. Hopefully Facebook’s knowledge of the process with Facebook Messenger will stand WhatsApp in good stead here.
You may also like to check out:
- Download iOS 14 Beta 1 IPSW Links And Install On iPhone 11, Pro, XS Max, X, XR, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]
- iOS 14 Beta 4 Download Release Date: Here’s When To Expect
- Download: iOS 14 Beta 4 IPSW Links, iPadOS 14 Beta 4 Released
- iOS 14 Beta 4 OTA Profile File Download Released Without Dev Account, Here’s How To Get It
- Jailbreak iOS 13.6 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How [Video Tutorial]
- Jailbreak iOS 13.5 On iPhone 11, Pro Max, SE, iPad Pro, More Using Unc0ver 5.0.0 [Tutorial]
- Download: iOS 13.6 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update Released For iPhone And iPad
- Jailbreak iOS 13.5 Without Or No Computer, Here’s How
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak