New images of a first-generation iPad prototype shows that Apple considered putting not just one, but two Dock connectors onto it ahead of launch.
Apple ultimately shipped with just a single Dock connector on the bottom of the device when in portrait, but there was an additional connector on one of the sides of the prototype captured in these photos.
Shared to Twitter by Giulio Zompetti, the images suggest that Apple was already very aware of the fact that people might want to be able to use the iPad in landscape when typing. Apple shipped a keyboard alongside the original iPad, but it required the device to be attached in portrait because of the Dock connector placement.
Zompetti confirmed that the additional connector was indeed likely for docking to a keyboard or other accessory.
Initially, Apple was planning to feature a dual dock system on its first tablet. The secondary port was situated on the left side of the device. Concurrent charging was apparently supported.
Here is a detailed view of both the hardware interfaces. #AppleCollection #Apple #iPad #prototype pic.twitter.com/CcWWAUPcz9
— Giulio Zompetti (@1nsane_dev) March 27, 2021
The same person, who collects Apple prototypes, says that Apple ultimately ditched the additional port during a later development stage.
Some of Apple’s current iPad offer not only the newer Lightning port but also the Smart Connector, something that allows keyboards and more to be attached and powered without a traditional connection to the device.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 14.4.2 IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.4.2 Released
- Jailbreak iOS 14.4.2 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Guide]
- Download Unc0ver v6.0.0 IPA iPhone 12 Jailbreak For iOS 14.3
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.4 The Easy Way [Tutorial]
- How To Fix Bad iOS 14 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Convert Factory Wired Apple CarPlay To Wireless Apple CarPlay In Your Car Easily, Here’s How
- iPhone 12 / Pro Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Best iPhone 12, 12 Pro Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- Best iPhone 12 Mini Screen Protector: Here’s A List Worth Checking
- Best iPhone 12 Pro Max Screen Protector: Here Is A List Worth Checking
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak