According to a new report from The Information, Mark Zuckerberg’s Facebook is working on a smartwatch to go head-to-head with the Apple Watch. The report suggests that Facebook watch would place focus on messaging and health functionality.
Creating a wearable that focuses on functionality pertaining to messaging doesn’t come as a great surprise for a company like Facebook.
Zuckerberg’s business empire not only includes Facebook but also Instagram, Messenger, and WhatsApp, all of which have a strong messaging focus. The watch will reportedly allow all of those services to be used directly from the wrist and will include a cellular connection that won’t require a smartphone to be connected.
As with pretty much all other smartwatches and wearables on the market, Facebook’s watch would have a strong focus on health and fitness and would include direct connections with fitness-related companies, presumably allowing wearers to benefit from two-way sync. Rather than spinning off its own OS, the Facebook watch would run a version of Google’s Android WearOS and would presumably offer compatibility with existing software for that platform.
Many consumers will be sceptical about another smartwatch hitting the market. Especially one offered by Facebook. For a lot of people, it will come down to the cost of the hardware and Facebook is said to be planning on selling the watch for close to its production cost. Currently, there is no information on what that production cost will be.
Any product of this nature that Facebook decides to release would need to go head-to-head with Apple Watch. Apple’s smartwatch is the dominant player in the wearable market with more than 100 million in operation around the world.
If the initial report is to believed, then Facebook is way beyond the “possibility” stage and is actually in advanced stages as far as the Facebook watch is concerned. In fact, The Information actually suggests that Zuckerberg’s company is already designing and planning the second iteration of the hardware. Let’s see if such a product actually makes it to market.
You may also like to check out:
- Jailbreak iOS 14.4 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Guide]
- Download: iOS 14.4 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.4 Out Now
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.4 The Easy Way [Tutorial]
- How To Fix Bad iOS 14 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Convert Factory Wired Apple CarPlay To Wireless Apple CarPlay In Your Car Easily, Here’s How
- iPhone 12 / Pro Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Best iPhone 12, 12 Pro Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- Best iPhone 12 Mini Screen Protector: Here’s A List Worth Checking
- Best iPhone 12 Pro Max Screen Protector: Here Is A List Worth Checking
- Jailbreak iOS 14.2 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Guide]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak