There has been talk of micro-LED technology becoming the next big thing in displays for a few months now, and a new report by Economic Daily News has Apple partner Foxconn expanding its investments into the manufacturing of such things.
The news that Foxconn is looking to push increase its current investment in micro-LED technology makes sense given its superior positioning compared to OLED.
Apple recently moved to OLED for its phone products, and has been making OLED Apple Watches since day one. Tablets remain an LCD-only affair however.
While both OLED and micro-LED have an advantage of LCD because their pixels are self-lit and don’t need a backlight, micro-LED is a clear winner thanks to the fact that no organic materials are used in its construction. That means that they won’t suffer from degradation, something that OLED screens fail victim to in the form of screen burn-in.
It’s makes plenty of sense that Apple would look to such technologies for use in its hardware, although neither the Apple Watch nor iPhone is particularly known for struggling with burn-in.
Regardless, micro-LED is still a technology that is out in the future, rather than one that will be ready to ship in huge quantities just yet. That despite the news that Foxconn is pumping more money into the technology, according to this report.
None of this will be anywhere near ready for 2019’s iPhone lineup, one which is expected to be announced in September. Expectations have two OLED phones and one LCD, as was the case in 2018.
(Source: Economic daily News, Via: DigiTimes)
You may also like to check out:
- Download iOS 12.2 Final IPSW Links And OTA Update For iPhone And iPad
- Download: iOS 12.3 Beta 4 IPSW Links, OTA Update Out Now For iPhone And iPad
- iOS 12 / 12.1.2 iPhone XS Max Jailbreak Update Provided By Unc0ver Lead Developer
- iOS 12.2 Jailbreak Status: Here’s What You Need To Know
- Jailbreak iOS 12 / 12.1.2 / 12.1.2 Beta 3 With Unc0ver And Install Cydia, Here’s How [Tutorial]
- How To Downgrade iOS 12.2 To iOS 12.1.4 On iPhone Or iPad