Anyone who uses a portable Mac and Google’s Chrome web browser is already acutely aware that it’s an app that very much likes to eat batteries for breakfast. But Google is apparently set to try and fix that, according to a report from The Wall Street Journal.
Part of the work to do that will be to better prioritize tabs that are active, allowing Chrome to have the background tabs run in a reduced power state.
“This is an ongoing investment in improvements to speed, performance and battery life,” said Max Christoff, Director of Chrome browser engineering at Google. Google is also working to prevent resource-hungry ads from eating into battery life as well.
The impact of Chrome on a Mac’s battery life is not something that should be understated. Using Chrome is often something that MacBook users simply refuse to do when not plugged in because of the dire impact it has on their battery life.
Apple’s own Safari is a much better option in that regard, but users who live in Google services like Gmail and Google Docs are at a disadvantage when using Safari.
For those people, Google’s assertion that it knows about the performance issues and that it is working on them is exceptionally good news indeed.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 13.6 GM Released Complete With CarKey Support And More
- Download: iOS 14 Public Beta 2 OTA Profile Released For Everyone To Try
- Download iOS 14 Beta 1 IPSW Links And Install On iPhone 11, Pro, XS Max, X, XR, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]
- Download: iOS 14 Beta 2 IPSW Links, OTA Profile & iPadOS 14 Beta 2 Released
- Get iOS 14 Beta 2 Profile File Download Without Dev Account, Here’s How
- iOS 13.5.1 Downgrade No Longer Possible After Apple Stops Signing iOS 13.5 Jailbreak Firmware
- Jailbreak iOS 13.5.1 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How [Video Tutorial]
- Jailbreak iOS 13.5 On iPhone 11, Pro Max, SE, iPad Pro, More Using Unc0ver 5.0.0 [Tutorial]
- Download: iOS 13.5.1 IPSW Links, OTA Update Released For iPhone And iPad
- Jailbreak iOS 13.5 Without Or No Computer, Here’s How
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak