Since Apple announced the HomePod mini last week we’ve been wondering one thing in particular – can it be paired with a standard HomePod to create a stereo pair. Unfortunately, it seems the answer isn’t the one we’d been hoping for.
The Loop’s, Jim Dalrymple, seems to be the one with the answer to that question, and you won’t like it. According to Dalrymple, you can’t pair the two different HomePods together at all.
With the release of the HomePod mini at Apple’s event today, many people have been asking if you can pair the mini with the original HomePod.
The short answer is no. You can’t make a stereo pair of a HomePod and a HomePod mini. You can make a stereo pair of two HomePods or two HomePod minis, but you can’t mix and match the two products.
However, there is at least some good news to be had if you look for it. In the same post, Dalrymple notes that a new software feature is in the works that will allow users to set up a HomePod as part of a Home Theater system. It’ll even support Dolby Atmos, too.
A new feature is coming for only for the HomePod that will add an immersive home theater experience when paired with an Apple TV 4K. To get the 5.1, 7.1 surround, and Dolby Atmos, you need to pair one or two HomePod speakers to the Apple TV. This feature requires the spatial sound support of HomePod, so it isn’t available for the HomePod mini.
Yet, there’s more bad news. You can’t have a HomePod and HomePod mini connected to an Apple TV at the same time. So whatever you’re doing, you’re going to need a pair of the same devices. These things might both have HomePod in the name, but there the similarities seem to end.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 14.2 Beta 1 IPSW Links, OTA Profile File And iPadOS 14.2 Beta 1 Released
- How To Fix Bad iOS 14 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Convert Factory Wired Apple CarPlay To Wireless Apple CarPlay In Your Car Easily, Here’s How
- iPhone 12 / Pro Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Best iPhone 12, 12 Pro Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- iOS / iPadOS 14 Final Compatibility For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Devices
- Jailbreak iOS 14.1 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Tutorial]
- Download iOS 14.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.1
- Fix iOS 14 Update Requested Stuck Issue On iPhone And iPad, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 14 Estimating Time Remaining Stuck Issue, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 14 OTA Stuck On Preparing Update Issue, Here’s How
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.1 [Tutorial]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak