Here’s how to pair or connect a PS4 DualShock 4 controller or Xbox One S controller to your iPhone or iPad on iOS 13 or iPadOS 13.
Apple announced that iPhone and iPad would receive support for Xbox One and PS4 controllers when iOS 13 and iPadOS 13 launch later this year. The new software updates will likely arrive in September, but if you’re brave enough to install the beta versions, you can take them for a spin today. If you do, you might want to give the controller support a try, too.
Getting either controller to work with your iPhone or iPad isn’t a complicated affair, although it does differ slightly depending on the controller that you’re using. Here, we’re going to run through how to pair your controller with an iPhone or iPad, just in case you want to try your favorite iOS game with a real controller.
Don’t have PS4 or Xbox One S controller yet? Want one for gaming on your iPhone, iPad or even Apple TV? Here’s where to get it from on discount:
Buy: PS4 DualShock Controller from Amazon: $39 | Original price: $60
Buy: Xbox One S Controller from Amazon: $44 | Original price: $60
How to Pair a PS4 Controller
Step 1: To start, open Settings and tap on Bluetooth.
Step 2: On your PS4 controller, press and hold the PlayStation and Share buttons for a few seconds. You’ll see the light start flashing white. When that happens, your controller is ready to be paired.
Step 3: Over on your iPhone or iPad, tap the controller under the “Other Devices” section.
How to Pair an Xbox One Controller
Step 1: Again, open the Settings app and tap on Bluetooth.
Step 2: On your Xbox One controller, press the Xbox button to power it on.
Step 3: Now, hold down the Connect button for around three seconds.
Step 4: Tap your controller when it appears in the “Other Devices” section on you iPhone or iPad.
A word of note here: Apple says this will only work with Xbox One S controllers and we assume that also includes the Xbox One X. The original Xbox One controllers aren’t Bluetooth, however, so they unfortunately won’t work.
You may also like to check out:
- iOS 13 Beta 1 Profile Download Free Along With iPadOS 13 Will Be Available This July, Confirms Apple
- iOS 13 Beta 1 OTA Configuration Profile And iPadOS 13 Download Not Released Yet, Here’s Why
- 100+ iOS 13 Hidden Features For iPhone And iPad [Running List]
- How To Downgrade iOS 13 / iPadOS 13 Beta To iOS 12.3.1 / 12.4
- iOS 13 Public Beta 1 Download Release Date Announced Along With macOS 10.15, tvOS 13 Public Betas
- iOS 13, iPadOS Compatibility For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Devices
- iOS 13 Beta 1 Download IPSW Links, OTA Update And iPadOS 13 Beta 1 For iPhone And iPad
- Download iOS 13 Beta 1 IPSW Links & Install On iPhone XS Max, X, XR, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]