The iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro will be the first iPhones to ship with support for 5G cellular data and the team at Tom’s Guide have done the work to answer the question on everyone’s lips – just how badly does that 5G impact battery life?
We know that 5G connectivity will drain more power than 4G and for that reason Apple has added a feature called Smart Data.
The feature simply falls back to 4G when the device doesn’t think 5G is needed. That’s possibly a sign that Apple knows battery life is impacted and that’s matched by Tom’s Guide’s testing.
According to their numbers, a 5G-connected iPhone 12 lasted eight hours and 25 minutes, whereas the iPhone 12 Pro lasted nine hours and six minutes. Those numbers increase to ten hours and 23 minutes and 11 hours and 24 minutes, respectively, when connected to a 4G signal.
Importantly, Tom’s Guide says this puts the 5G battery drain in a worse spot than typical 5G Android devices.
Compared to the Android competition, Apple’s new phones are a step behind those devices on our best phone battery life list, especially over 5G networks.
Given the fact Apple is thought to have ditched the idea of a 120Hz display due to power concerns, this is difficult to hear. 5G is still slowly being rolled out and surely more people would have benefited from a better screen.
Still, there’s always next year!
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 14.2 Beta 1 IPSW Links, OTA Profile File And iPadOS 14.2 Beta 1 Released
- How To Fix Bad iOS 14 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Convert Factory Wired Apple CarPlay To Wireless Apple CarPlay In Your Car Easily, Here’s How
- iPhone 12 / Pro Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Best iPhone 12, 12 Pro Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- iOS / iPadOS 14 Final Compatibility For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Devices
- Jailbreak iOS 14.1 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Tutorial]
- Download iOS 14.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.1
- Fix iOS 14 Update Requested Stuck Issue On iPhone And iPad, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 14 Estimating Time Remaining Stuck Issue, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 14 OTA Stuck On Preparing Update Issue, Here’s How
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.1 [Tutorial]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak