Apple’s next A-Series chips are expected to come with improved performance, power management, and heat control thanks to another die shrink. This comes as DigiTimes reports that volume production of 3nm chips will begin mass production next year.
The move to 3nm chips will start in the second half of 2022, likely as a precursor to Apple’s iPhone 14 announcement in the fall of that year.
TSMC is fast advancing its manufacturing processes, and it is expected to move its N4, namely 4nm, node to risk production in the third quarter of 2021, with N3 – 3nm node – to start volume production at the world’s number-one pure-play foundry house in second-half 2022.
The A15 chips that will power the iPhone 13 lineup will retain the existing 5nm process, the report notes, although there will be power efficiency improvements regardless.
TSMC refers to 5nm+ as N5P, and describes it as a performance-enhanced version which will combine greater power with improved power efficiency to improve battery-life (or, as might be more likely with Apple, permit smaller-capacity batteries).
Shrinking of a chip manufacturing process means that they can be more capable while also using less power and generating less heat than previous models. Those are all good things to have in a processor that’s designed for use in mobile devices like iPhones. Apple’s chips have long been known for their power management and performance, something that made the switch to Apple silicon on the Mac side an inevitability.
You may also like to check out:
- iOS 15 Beta Compatibility For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Devices
- Download iOS 15 Beta 1 IPSW Links And Install On iPhone 12, Pro, 11, XS Max, X, XR, 8, 7, Plus, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]
- iOS 15 Beta 1 Profile File Download Without Developer Account, Here’s How
- How To Downgrade iOS 15 Beta To iOS 14.6 / 14.7 [Tutorial]
- How To Download iOS 15 Beta 1 Along With iPadOS 15 Beta 1
- Download: iOS 14.6 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.6 Released
- Jailbreak iOS 14.6 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Tutorial]
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.6 And iPadOS 14.6 [Guide]
- Convert Factory Wired Apple CarPlay To Wireless Apple CarPlay In Your Car Easily, Here’s How
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak