Exploding batteries are not uncommon, unfortunately, and as the folks at Samsung will affirm, when it comes to high capacity batteries placed in smartphones, all bets are off. Apple is no stranger to having batteries malfunction either, and with so many people having iPhones swapped out right now thanks to the furore created by Apple’s decision to throttle the performance of iPhones with old batteries, we are hearing of some that have gone pop during the process.
It appears one iPhone battery, unfortunately, started smoking in the Hong Kong Apple Store, with emergency personnel required to attend.
According to a report in the South China Morning Post, “emergency personnel were sent to the outlet in the International Finance Centre mall on Harbour View Road, Central after a police report was made at 12.07pm.” A police spokeswoman, commenting on the incident, said that “the two staff members were repairing the phone battery at the time it emitted smoke. The pair complained of feeling unwell after inhaling smoke.”
Thankfully, the store did not need to be evacuated during the ordeal, with store employees apparently able to extinguish the source of the smoke before emergency services arrived on the scene. Apple, unsurprisingly, is playing down the incident, saying that “it was a minor incident. The store quickly resumed normal operations and no customers were affected.”
Apple is offering a 75% reduction on the price of a new iPhone battery for those who are impacted by the company’s decision to artificially limit the speed of their iPhones due to a poor quality or aged battery. The offer is good for iPhone 6 and new devices and runs throughout the entirety of 2018.
(Source: South China Morning Post)
You may also like to check out:
- iOS 11.1.2 Jailbreak And Cydia Update With Electra: It’s Almost Here
- The Best Kodi 17 Krypton Skins / Themes [2018 Edition]
- iOS 11.2.5 Jailbreak: iOS 11.2.2 Signing Window Glitch Allows You To Downgrade From Latest Firmware
- iOS 11.3 Beta 2 Download Expected Release Date
- Download iOS 11.2.5 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update For Your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
- Downgrade iOS 11.2.5 To iOS 11.2.2 For Potential Future Jailbreak, Here’s How
- Jailbreak iOS 11.2.5 / 11.2.2 / 11.2.1 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]
- Jailbreak iOS 11 / 11.1.2 On iPhone X, 8, 7, iPad Using LiberiOS [Updated]