A claimed leaked image of the upcoming iPad Pro is getting some coverage this morning – but it isn’t what it appears …
The image was tweeted by Evan Blass, who goes by the @evleaks handle on twitter.
Although it appears to be an image we haven’t seen before, everything but the on-screen content is identical to a render created by MySmartPrice almost two months ago. It’s clear that Evan Blass, or one of his sources, has simply taken the original render (left) and Photoshopped in a new screen (right).
The closest we’ve got to a genuine leaked image this time around is the iOS icon we exclusively revealed earlier this week. That confirms what we’re all expecting to see: slimmer bezels, rounded corners, no Home button and no notch.
The icon gave us a detailed look at the buttons, but we noted at the time that iOS assets don’t necessarily reflect the final hardware design.
Another interesting detail is that the sleep/wake button is still at the top, while new iPhone models feature a side button that’s used to invoke Siri, take screenshots and shut down the device with button combinations. The presence of a sleep/wake button instead of a side button could be just a design decision for the new iPad. On the other hand, it is possible the 2018 iPad Pro ends up featuring a side button as this can be an unfinished asset.
Our own sources exclusively revealed a number of new details:
- A12X processor (faster than the A12 in the new iPhones)
- TrueDepth camera system embedded in the bezels, so no need for a notch
- Face ID will work in both portrait and landscape modes after initial setup
- A USB-C port, which supports 4K HDR video output
- A new version of the Apple Pencil, wirelessly paired by proximity
- A brand new magnetic connector for accessories
We’ll of course be bringing you live coverage from this morning’s event.