Apple announced macOS 11 Big Sur during the company’s annual WWDC event last week and while there was time given to the release during the keynote, there were features that didn’t get attention.
We’re learning more and more about those features as developers take the update for a spin in its current beta form. One of the new features is the ability of macOS Big Sur to perform system updates more quickly than ever.
Updating macOS currently takes up to an hour depending on the Mac and the update being applied. But according to notes on Apple’s website and spotted by 9to5Mac, things will be improved in macOS Big Sur.
Once macOS Big Sur is installed, software updates begin in the background and complete faster than before — so it’s easier than ever to keep your Mac up to date and secure.
It’s thought that the update will now process all the required files ahead of a system restart, reducing the amount of time where the computer is unusable. It’s a similar process to that used on iPhone and iPad, allowing users to continue working while the update is prepared in the background.
A further note also mentions that a new security feature also improves the speed of updates, too.
macOS Big Sur introduces a cryptographically signed system volume that protects against malicious tampering. It also means that your Mac knows the exact layout of your system volume, allowing it to begin software updates in the background while you work.
While developers are already testing macOS Big Sur, a public beta is expected later this month. A final, public release will arrive in or around September, too.
Give us a shout in the comments to let us know how you are getting on with the new dark mode. Is it dark enough for you?
You may also like to check out:
- Download iOS 14 Beta 1 IPSW Links And Install On iPhone 11, Pro, XS Max, X, XR, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]
- iOS 14 Beta 1 Download IPSW Links, OTA Profile And iPadOS 14 Beta 1 For iPhone And iPad
- iOS 14 Beta 1 Profile File Download Without Dev Account, Here’s How
- iOS 14 Beta 2 Profile Download Release Date Expectation
- Download: iOS 13.6 Beta 3 IPSW Links, OTA Profile File, Beta 3 Of iPadOS 13.6 Out Now
- iOS 13.5.1 Downgrade No Longer Possible After Apple Stops Signing iOS 13.5 Jailbreak Firmware
- Jailbreak iOS 13.5.1 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How [Video Tutorial]
- Jailbreak iOS 13.5 On iPhone 11, Pro Max, SE, iPad Pro, More Using Unc0ver 5.0.0 [Tutorial]
- Download: iOS 13.5.1 IPSW Links, OTA Update Released For iPhone And iPad
- Jailbreak iOS 13.5 Without Or No Computer, Here’s How
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak